Alpha 1 gen I yoke specs

Aye_Thar

Recruit
Is there a service range limit specification for the Alpha 1 Gen I yoke seal surface diameter ?

read thru Mercruiser # 6 sterndrive service manual and no specifications are listed for yoke seal surface. There must be a service range limit for this somewhere. I measured the good area of the yoke starting surface to be approx. 2.2480 in with a micrometer. The yoke I am servicing has a groove about .005 - .001 in deep. used emery cloth on a lathe to remove the groove in hope of putting the yoke back into service again. after smoothing the seal surface to a polish, the surface now measures 2.2475 in with a micrometer. can someone measure a new yoke and give me the diameter ? The Mercruiser part number is 46020-1 , 46020T . Sierra 18-2125, GLM 28310 , Mallory 9-72400 I'm sure someone has successfully machined the groove out of the Yoke and put it back into service. This is my first go at it.

Also, what is the correct speedi-sleeve part number for sleeve repair ?

Aye_Thar

Recruit
Ok, looks like my yoke has a worn groove about .003 - .005 deep , on a round surface that is .0015 - .0025 subtracted from the overall starting diameter of 2.248 in. leaving me with final smooth surface of 2.2465 approx. A brand new sealing surface which is 2.2xx unknown. Don't have the overall or new diameter of a new yoke for the sealing surface , no spec given in Mercruiser #6 sterdrive service manual. can someone help by giving the diameter of a brand new yoke , part numbers listed in initial post, thanks .

kenny nunez

Captain
I have resurfaced some of the yokes but the best results were using a Speedy sleeve. The measured dimension denotes the part # at the bearing supply houses I have dealt with. Some of the sleeves are longer and the extra material has to be trimmed with metal shears and smoothed out. The shorter ones are easier and I never took the extra time to remove the flange area that is used to drive the sleeve on for fear of scratching the polished surface.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... I agree with Kenny,....

Either a speedi-sleeve, or replace the yoke,.....