SE 106 sterndrive

I have a SE 106 sterndrive and my problem is that the gear oil is milky.I changed the oil and went out on the water and within a 1/2 hour my reservoir tank had more in it so my is it taking in water but not draining out.If it's the seals would it not leak too.Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
I got the first part
The drive oil was milky so it was drained and refilled.

The second part is where I'm misunderstanding
Your out for a 1/2 hour and you have more oil in the bottle then you started with, but there is no water in the drive?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Time to pull the drive and pressure test it. Also check the u-joint bellows to see if there is water in there. If there is water in the u-joint bellows it will make it into the drive regardless of the condition of the drive input seals. The seals behind the u-joints are designed to keep oil in, not water out.

My reservoir tank was at the full mark with new oil and when I was out for a 1/2 hour driving the reservoir was higher so it took in water.When I bought the boat the bellows were leaking so I had a mechanic put new bellows in and changed the gimbal bearing..Then he tells me there was water in the sterndrive and keep an eye on it and he did do a pressure test and said it was good

alldodge

Staff member
My reservoir tank was at the full mark with new oil and when I was out for a 1/2 hour driving the reservoir was higher so it took in water.When I bought the boat the bellows were leaking so I had a mechanic put new bellows in and changed the gimbal bearing..Then he tells me there was water in the sterndrive and keep an eye on it and he did do a pressure test and said it was good

The cap on the outdrive bottle is a one valve, it lets air in but not out. If the valve goes bad, the heat developed in the drive expands the oil.

Pull the plug on the drive and see if water has got back into the drive. If it has you have a leak

fishrdan

Admiral
Let the drive completely cool and check the reservoir level again. Drive lube expands as it heats up and air in the reservoir compresses, so the level rising a bit when hot is completely normal.

If the level raises when the drive is cool, yep, got a problem.

when I took the drain plug out there was water,A mechanic said it's probably the prop seals but what I don't get is my does it not leak when it's sitting in my yard on the trailer

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Try another mechanic. Yours is guessing. He can't possibly know where the water's coming in, without actually finding it via a pressure and/or vacuum test. Could be as simple as a drain or vent screw gasket, but nobody knows yet.

My .02