Questions regarding adding a water separator to my 86 Stingray 2.5lt....

ianbword

Seaman Apprentice
Im getting my 120 Merc ready for the water, it doesn't have a spin on filter for a water separator but it does have a built in filter inside the mechanical pump.

Would adding a standalone filter setup like the one mess with the vacuum the mechanical pump pulls?

Where do people typically mount these? I was wondering if anyone bolts it to the engine somewhere vs the fiberglass body?

And if I put one in do you need to prime the filter with fresh gas if its a brand new setup?

wV0duEPtREQOQKtDqeJF-Gqe0q4Sh6fiJ9bmP329gajemSYMBb71D5kiM25X3G98UoeS-DCozgp8uvHJJ_MhDVEiZo9rH0umTGuDKhIwnErpky3uU8QQe2BRoEYH-04zmg0uT6OzKRx419vR1EpMJYRct9FbPbKK8XeJpIt1aW1SbqNuio8=s800-pd-e365-rw-pc0xffffff

Thank you!!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you can mount the filter head in any convenient location on the existing structure or install a 2 x 4 or plywood to install the head. Level or above the tank, never below the tank unless you install shutoff`s on both sides of the filter head
filling the filter makes it easier

ianbword

Seaman Apprentice
you can mount the filter head in any convenient location on the existing structure or install a 2 x 4 or plywood to install the head. Level or above the tank, never below the tank unless you install shutoff`s on both sides of the filter head
filling the filter makes it easier

I think im gonna mount it here on the back side as I can use a nut/bolt with a piece of pressure treated for a backing to not stress out the fiberglass. Its just extra piece of mind to keep it running for the long haul.
YDzx2gp.jpg