Stripped lower unit nut

BCreech

Cadet
Hello,
I'm trying to change the impeller in my 91 Alpha one-Gen 1. The previous owner said it has never been changed. I have all of the nuts loose but 1 on the underside of the lower unit. It is stripped to no other and I guess that's why he never changed it. Does anybody have some advice or tips to get it loose? There isn't much room for anything but a socket. I tried needle nose pliers to no avail. A little help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

BCreech

Cadet
Unfortunately no. That one came out good. It's one of the 2 on the underneath side right by each other. I tried uploading a picture but the file size was too large

BCreech

Cadet
Got the picture to upload. It is the lower nut that is stripped

Attachments

• photo294637.jpg
    photo294637.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Only thing offhand I can think of is get all the other bolts off and use small wedges to put pressure between upper and lower as you try and spin the nut off with power. Beyond that is either drilling it, which is NOT gonna be fun. Or maybe I'd try using the plasma torch to cut the nut on two sides and crack it apart.

superbenk

Commander
You can try using a slightly too small 12-Point socket & wedging it on the nut by CAREFULLY hammering it straight on over the nut. Be very careful not to hammer too hard or you might cause damage to the lower unit housing or something else. Also note that this may very likely ruin that socket.

Try a Gator Grip Socket. I don't recall the diameter of the hole the nut is located in, but if you can get this socket in there it should get the nut off. You can usually find Gator Grip at Lowes, Home Depot or Auto parts stores....I've used it on many occasions with great results....good luck!!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Try a Gator Grip Socket. I don't recall the diameter of the hole the nut is located in, but if you can get this socket in there it should get the nut off. You can usually find Gator Grip at Lowes, Home Depot or Auto parts stores....I've used it on many occasions with great results....good luck!!

I was thinking the nut was stripped on the threads, not the outside flats.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
hammer on a metric socket if its the nut thats you cant get a 5/8ths socket on.
If its the stud threads, that are stripped, thin screwdrivers and wedges

BCreech

Cadet
Thanks for all the great advice. It is the outside hex of the 5/8 nut that is stripped. When I get home after work I will try the gator grip and/or a smaller socket. If that doesn't work I think I will buy a 3/8" oscillator blade (small enough to fit in there) and try to cut the nut. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks everyone!

superbenk

Commander
I see a number of others also suggesting hammering on a smaller/metric socket. Just wanted to note that when I mentioned 12-point I did that on purpose. More ridges to grab the rounded nut acting like teeth. A 6-point won’t have as many points to bite the nut.

Havent tried a Gator Grip but also sounds promising & is probably made of hardened steel so can grab the nut more aggressively. Good luck!

BCreech

Cadet
Got it off! Bought a extractor set from HF and hammered on the 9/16. She came right off. Thanks everyone! On to the impeller replacement if I can separate the lower from upper

Attachments

• photo294722.jpg
    photo294722.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0