Gimbal bearing fully seated?

duponts

Cadet
I am having a heck of a time getting my outdrive back on after changing thd gimbal bearing and bellows. With my finger in the gimbal ring I cam feel that here is a pretty good space between the back of the bearing and seal. Is this normal?

alldodge

Staff member
There should not be much space behind it but maybe 1.4 inch

Tell us what will not go on?
It goes in so far and stops or something else?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Somewhere, there should be a measurement for each outdrive model from face of bellhousing to rear face of gimbal bearing when it is fully seated. It is the same for all of a given model sterndrive.

The grease seal behind the gimbal bearing is aways behind far enough that it would not be a good indicator of seated depth for the gimbal bearing. Usually you can feel and hear the difference when it seats. You can also turn a canned air can upside down and spray down the outer carrier of the gimbal bearing to shrink it, then give it a few whacks to see if it moves further.

Make sure you remove any grease in the o-ring grooves before installing the o-rings. A little grease in there will hold the o-rings out making it near impossible to get them inside the gimbal bearing.

kenny nunez

Captain
Sometimes the corrugated tolerance ring does not stay in the receiver groove and gets between the outer ridge of the aluminum bearing holder and the bore that the bearing is going into. Since the holder is aluminum be careful beating on it in one area which will flare the outer edge.Try to use a large socket or piece of pipe.

duponts

Cadet
I tried again and cannot get it pushed in enough to see the bolts coming through. Also, it now seems stuck and wont come out now. The drive is in forward and the shift shaft facing forward amd the prop does not go in reverse so that doesnt seem to be the issue. Thoughts? I have serious respect for marine mechanics after attempting this job.

alldodge

Staff member
Have seen this before and the gimbal has either cocked a tad, or the tolerance ring is caught. Unless you can drive the bearing back out from the back and only contacting the outer race, your probably going to damage the bearing coming back out.

Maybe Bondo Bt Doctur can advise

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sometimes you need to set the bearing so the yoke shaft will go through the bearing and line up into the coupler. which involves putting an alignment tool in and give it a wack top, bottom, and each side. I had to do this once before mine would line up. Also if your bearing isn't seated fully you will get clunking out of your u joints when turning, just pull the drive and give it a few more hits until you hear the difference