1985 Merc 350 trim up/down stalls engine, missing/backfiring after fully warmed up

kip2001

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

Long time iboats forum reader/lurker here, a huge thank you to all of you (especially Doc, may he RIP) for providing so much assistance! That search function is fantastic. That said, I can't find anything for this one.

Quick backstory on my boat, we purchased it last summer from an owner who had it for 6 years. She had nothing replaced mechanically on the boat other than the trim tabs. Otherwise, the marina did the yearly maintenance/winterization/summerization on it and nothing else more. Towards the end of the summer, I felt the telltale signs of a failing gimbal bearing and knowing the bellows were at least 6 years old prepared myself to do some extensive maintenance.

This spring I took the outdrive off and discovered rust/water in the ujoint bellow. Added u-joints to my list of items to be replaced as well as a speedi-sleeve on the upper yoke shaft because the rust under the rubber had formed a nice groove. Gear lube all looked good, no water. I replaced the water impeller (last summer I was suffering from an overheating problem only at low idle), impeller housing, and all the seals I could get to in the upper/lower unit. Couldn't get the prop retainer ring off and the seal looked good so I decided since the lower unit pressure test held at 15 psi it wasn't worth breaking the retainer ring this year.

Okay, now up to the engine, I replaced the distributor cap & rotor, spark plugs, and fuel line from tank to filter. Third and longest time we had the boat out this year (2 hours) the tachometer started going crazy and the engine stalled out. It restarted and would run at a very low idle but still stall out with the tach jumping +/- 200 rpm until it would stall again, repeat until we get back to the marina. I checked the carb during this and pressed the accelerator pump in, seems to have gas and just felt like an electrical problem. In addition, I noticed that trimming the outdrive up/down would drop the rpms way down and almost stall the engine.

New spark plug cables came in the next day, put those in and also replaced the ignition coil at the suggestion of someone at our marina. I loved the thought that the ignition coil was starting to go and was only a problem once the engine was fully heated after an hour or two. I also took the carb off and rebuilt it just to eliminate that below the cause of anything. Took the fuel filter (had been replaced the prior fall) off and got perfectly clean gas, no contamination, no water.

So now up to today, the engine still seems to be missing not every time but maybe every 10 times at an idle (it's hardly noticeable). At higher RPMs the engine runs like a dream until it's fully warmed up (30-45 minutes) and then it bogs down/misfires?/backfires (pops at the carb) during acceleration and can't get up on a plane. Back to a slow speed, tach jumps around +/- 100 rpm when I'm around 1300-1700 rpm. Trimming the outdrive nearly stalls it with the RPMs falling way down.

Timing (once engine is warmed) seems to be dead on at 8deg, though it does 'jump'. The line will stay dead-on at 0 and then every 4-5 seconds clearly jump up to 4deg ahead. Once the engine is fully warmed (I checked it after it had starting acting up) it will primary be at 4deg and then fall back to 0 every 1-3 seconds. Alternator seems to be producing plenty of voltage (14v+). Brought battery to auto store, it tested perfectly fine. It's always on the battery charger at our slip.

Cold compression on cylinders:
2 - 165, 4 - 160, 6 - 155, 8 - 140
1 - 155, 3 - 150, 5 - 160, 7 - 130

I haven't pressure tested the fuel line yet but the trim issue has me thinking I'm dealing with something electrical. Idk why it gets worse when a hotter engine and I don't know why it seems to run up on a plane so perfectly before it starts.

Engine is a 350 small block, merc 260 with an MR drive from 1985. Boat is a regal ambassador 255xl.

Anyone have any ideas for me to troubleshoot next? I'm thinking voltage regulator or faulty wiring somehwere but that seems to only explain the trim up/down stalling problem.

Cheers and thank you so much!
Kip

alldodge

Staff member
There should be 2 wires on the negative side of the coil, one goes to the tach and other goes to the distributor. Remove the one going to the tach

kip2001

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, I'll give that a try! Could a faulty tac cause both these problems?

alldodge

Staff member
Does not sound like an IAC issue. The IAC controls the amount of air going in at idle and if it wouldn't see missing at higher rpms, and the motor would choke out at idle

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Does not sound like an IAC issue. The IAC controls the amount of air going in at idle and if it wouldn't see missing at higher rpms, and the motor would choke out at idle

AD, being an '85......its a carb. Not EFI

alldodge

Staff member
Okay, I'll give that a try! Could a faulty tac cause both these problems?

Saw tac and thought IAC

In any case, yes if the tach starts to short out it starts killing the ignition

kip2001

Seaman Apprentice
Yes yes, original quadrajet.

This morning I had a few minutes to swing by the boat, I started it up with everything disconnect and still had the intermittent misfiring sound at idle. Disconnected the tach and if any it seemed to be asking worse. Tomorrow I'll be able to get it out of the slip and onto the lake to open it up and really test it out. I also trimmed the outdrive with engine running, didn't lead to any stalling but does shoot the volt gauge down to 10-11v (I think that's normal though?).

The only part of the ignition system that isn't oem is the coil, the one that was in there before replacing was the internal resistor kind from Napa (I replaced it with exactly the same one). The internal resistor measures 3 ohms. I get 12v on my volt meter if I ground either terminal on the coil with the key set to run. So I think it was rewired by a PO to eliminate the external resistor.

kip2001

Seaman Apprentice
Alright, took the boat out today, ran about 45 minutes alternating between planing out and just cruising along. I tried to imitate the scenarios that always had been resulting in engine problems and it (unfortunately?) had absolutely no issues missing or backfiring. Maybe a factor, two days when I took it out, after all the backfiring and missing issues getting onto a plane, the very last time I tried it felt like the engine has a restriction on the fuel that all of a sudden (2-3 seconds) went away and it got up on the plane and ran great. Idk it that is related at all to how it ran so will today.

The only issue I still have iss the tilt of the outdrive stalling the engine. Is that common when the boat is in forward gear at an idle speed? I was able to duplicate this behavior even isolating both my batteries to be running everything (normally I have one battery that is only connected to the engine with an electronic device that allows the house battery to be charged when the engine battery hits a certain vintage).

Last edited:

kip2001

Seaman Apprentice
Its either corrosion or a weak battery

Thanks AllDodge, I'll give all the battery contacts a good sanding to clean metal and put some dielectric grease on them. The batteries were tested to be okay by auto store and the voltage readings @ rest also indicate they're at least in decent shape so I doubt weak battery.

alldodge

Staff member
The voltage powering the motor goes from the
starter post
50amp breaker
Red/purple wire thru 10 pin engine connector
20 amp fuse
Key switch
Purple wire
Kill switch
purple wire back thru 10 pin engine connector
then to rest of the motor circuits

The trim pump connects direct to starter post and ground goes back to engine block

Anything along the connections can cause issues with a voltage drop if there is corrosion. Assuming you have a 20 fuse on the trim pump motor the the motor and relays are of no issue.

kip2001

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, I believe I've found all the relevant wiring diagrams. Not sure if my engine has that 90 amp fuse on the starter solenoid (I think that's what the alpha one gen1/MR manual refers to as a 110 amp fuse).

Attachments

• photo294776.png
    photo294776.png
    246.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo294778.png
    photo294778.png
    227.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo294779.png
    photo294779.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Agree with all the suggestions on this one, But what size batteries are in there? We had a similar situation with a one at the marina a couple weeks ago, All connections were cleaned, everything checked out fine, even the batteries tested good, however the batteries were group 24, only 500 cca or so, and when we put the battery switch on both, it would preform perfectly.. After replacing them with group 27's it ran fine after that. Just some thoughts on old batteries, They were 5 years old.

kip2001

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, thank you so much for all the assistance! Hope everyone enjoyed a great day of boating yesterday! I got up at the crack of dawn, cleaned/sanded all connections to the batteries and replaced the wing nuts with SS locking washers & nuts. Also cleaned/sanded all the wires on the starter post as well as the ground wires from the batteries to engine block and outdrive trim pump to block. Also gave a look-over to all the wires, didn't see anything that looked out of line, all connects were nice and secure.

Took the boat on 6 hour round trip journey to a sandbar and she ran great all the way there and most of the way back. Planed out perfectly, all combined ran about an hour at 3200RPM and the rest at about 1500RPM. Coming back while I was up at 3200, the engine starting missing/hesitating/bogging down and quickly developed a backfire pop from the top of the engine. I pulled back the throttle to around 1500 and the engine seemed to fully recover. I took off the gas cap, no vacuum. I propped the hood up to hear the engine better and throttled up again, the engine accelerated perfectly but once the RPMs it around 3000, the missing/backfiring began. I tried a few more times over the last hour or so of the journey home and it happened each time (not always consistently, sometimes it ran okay for 10 seconds, other times it backfired/missed immediately. Engine never died but I also never ran it under those conditions for more than maybe 5-10 seconds.

Adding to that, the outdrive trim is still causing rpm problems with the engine. The dash volt gauge goes from 14v to 12v (that I would assume is normal) but the engine audibly starts stumbling and the RPM drops. Could it be in the ignition sensor in the distributor? From what I've read the thunberbolt IV is basically bulletproof so it's probably not that. With all the ignition parts I've replaced it seems like it's that or fuel supply issue since backfire I believe equals lean supply. It was too hot to work down in the bilge after running yesterday so I think next steps is to check for a clogged screen at the tank fuel pickup as well as a sticky anti-siphon valve. Fuel pump doesn't seem to make sense? It ran so well for so long and isn't consistent.

My batteries are a group 27 (engine starter) & a group 29 (house). I didn't try putting the switch to use both, I almost always just cleave it on the one since I've got the device that connects the two together when the engine battery's voltage is above 13.4V (I've got a bluetooth voltage tracker on the house battery that confirms that's work properly).

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see an issue with 14 to 12V when trim is selected

Ran long enough for everything to get good and warm, so it might be the ignition sensor, but just guessing. Lean fuel at higher rpm does cause backfire. The way to rule that out is install a pressure gauge and see if it gets low over time

kip2001

Seaman Apprentice
Ah k! From what I recall my sensor is not the new enclosed style so probably worth the preventative replacement anyways (got new OEM for $55).

I'll pickup a fuel pressure sensor to see if that's dropping under load. It's a mechanical fuel pump, do they fail like this? I mean hours perfectly fine and then on/off problems?

Thanks for all the help!

alldodge

Staff member
Mechanical pumps have spring and check balls, they can get weak from the balls not reseating exactly every time, or maybe from some crud in them. Don't know if that's the issue just trying to rule things out

kip2001

Seaman Apprentice
Another gorgeous weekend here for boating in Upstate NY! I started off by replacing the anti-siphon valve. The old one had disintegrated threads, though the ball seemed to be working fine. Pulled the pick-up tube out of the take and mine doesn't have any sort of filter/coarse grate on the tube. I've never see more than a few finer particles in the fuel/water separator filter so I don't think that's a big deal. I forgot the adapter I ordered for the fuel line so wasn't able to get a pressure reading on that.

Next I replaced the ignition sensor in the bowl of the distributor cap. The old one appeared to be fairly new but was a sierra part so worth replacing with OEM imo. Sure enough when I started the engine up it did seem to idle a little better, the big difference was when I hit the trim pump, the rpm would quickly dive by 100rpm and then return to where it was and not fluctuate. Is that normal now? Or am I still chasing an electrical issue that the merc part is just more resilient to?

I then took the boat over to the lake and checked the timing again while testing out the engine. I keep having a problem with the timing where I'll set it 8° but after 20 or so minute of operation under load the timing changes to 12°. I don't understand that at all, all I do know is if I try changing the timing back to 8° at an idle the engine sounds bad. I also had my vacuum gauge hooked up and it hovers around 15-16 inHg when the timing is at 12°, falls to 10-14inHg when I set the timing to 8°. I read that maybe this is because the timing chain has stretched? I'm just a DIYer that knows static engineering so I haven't a clue. I did foolishly once put the initial timing up around 16°, that sounded terrible when I increased the RPM so I quickly backed of and went back to around 10°. After all that messing around I took the engine up to planing RPM, ran fine 3100-3900, then opened the throttle up even more and I hit 4500 at WOT! I hadn't hit that since buying the boat (I replaced the 3 fin with chips on the edges with a new 4 blade that would hit 4200, though recently it had been only hitting 4100). So something I replaced made a big difference, only problem, the engine RPM started becoming erratic at WOT, sort of missing like it was doing the other day, I backed off the throttle and it stops around 4100, and smooth lower. What I don't know is if that problem starts at WOT and then with time starts hitting the lower RPMs or if I've solved my engine woes up to WOT (which I'd be fine with, I'm always running either at 1500rpm or 3100rpm).

alldodge

Staff member
the rpm would quickly dive by 100rpm and then return to where it was and not fluctuate. Is that normal now?

No this isn't normal and should not happen

The timing should not move, and this may have something to do with the electrical issue

kip2001

Seaman Apprentice
No this isn't normal and should not happen

The timing should not move, and this may have something to do with the electrical issue

Okay, thanks AllDodge! I will focus on finding my electrical problem next, that's clearly the major underlying problem here.