1996 celebrity status 220 7.4 mercruiser water fuel seperator location

Sailor95

Cadet
Looking for the location of the Water fuel seperator on my carbed 7.4 merc. Also proper replacement/checking procedre would be much appreciated. Just got boat fired up on the muffs and cant get it to idle out of gear in nuetral position and want to start checking portions of fuel system to make sure its running as clean as possible. A pic would be much appreciated!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
look on the stbd side in the front of the motor, looks like a oil filter

Sailor95

Cadet
Thank you, I honestly thought that was the oil filter because it looks so much like one

Sailor95

Cadet
Wait, are we talking Stbd side like looking the engine from front of the boat with hatch open or the Stbd side looking at it from the drive.

Bondo

Staff member
Wait, are we talking Stbd side like looking the engine from front of the boat with hatch open or the Stbd side looking at it from the drive.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Boats only have 1 starboard side, which is Why We use the terms,.....

Sailor95

Cadet
I understand that, just did not know if he meant starboard as i am looking at the engine or the boat itself because some people use them interchangeably with left and right just when talking about boats in general, kinda like a my starboard or your starboard question.

Maclin

Admiral
As in "It's on the starboard side.....No, your other starboard side". Nope, starboard and port are the same no matter what vantage point.

Maclin

Admiral
Ok, the wife wanted to know why I posted that. And that got me into showing her the actual meaning. A boat almost always has a bow and a stern, going forward the bow is first. Looking from the stern towards the bow, starboard is on a human's right side. Port is the other one. So, using that as the base, then starboard and port are always the same. from above, below, north-notheast, no matter. You can mentally stencil in STARBOARD if you need to, and never have to erase or change it. Now on a canoe, just pick one end to be the "bow" I guess and go from there.

Bondo

Staff member
Ok, the wife wanted to know why I posted that. And that got me into showing her the actual meaning. A boat almost always has a bow and a stern, going forward the bow is first. Looking from the stern towards the bow, starboard is on a human's right side. Port is the other one. So, using that as the base, then starboard and port are always the same. from above, below, north-notheast, no matter. You can mentally stencil in STARBOARD if you need to, and never have to erase or change it. Now on a canoe, just pick one end to be the "bow" I guess and go from there.

Ayuh,..... I agree with every word ya wrote Mac,....

Just to the hi-lighted,..... Canoes are built with a bow, 'n stern, for balance of load,.....

They switch ends dependin' whether yer goin' tandem, or solo,..... or if yer carrin' cargo,..... ;)

Sailor95

Cadet
Can we revive this, never got it running last year but i now have the boat near a good body of water, going to do my first looks again this weekend and may try to start it. Anyone ever get a pic of the water fuel seperator?

Bondo

Staff member
Can we revive this,

Ayuh,..... No problem, yer the OP, it's yer thread,.....

Anyone ever get a pic of the water fuel seperator?

It looks like an oil filter, 'n should be mounted to the forward starboard corner of the motor,......

Sailor95

Cadet
Awesome thank you! Will I have any problems restarting the boat after its checked or changed? The boat has the weber carb on it

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Awesome thank you! Will I have any problems restarting the boat after its checked or changed? The boat has the weber carb on it

I'm kind of getting the feeling here that the cart is before the horse. Can't tell you whether you are going to have trouble starting after 'checking' a fuel water separator/filter. No one can until they know all the other parts of the puzzle. I get the impression this is a relatively new to you boat that has now been sitting for another year with probable known fuel issues. Old fuel in the gas tank? Water in the fuel? Ethanol fuel as well? All those things equate to most likely needing to pump all the fuel out and maybe even clean out the tank. If you have old fuel in a boat, you most likely need filters changed, system flushed and carburetor rebuilt after draining the tank. If this was a new to me boat, I'd be planning all those things unless I could prove to myself that it wasn't needed. I hate walking back or having to pay for a tow.

Depending on separator location, you may need to fill the new filter before installing. You also can use the electric fuel pump to prime the system by cross connecting it at the starter solenoid. I do that every time I start up in the spring after dewinterizing. Otherwise, the entire priming cycle is performed only while the motor is cranking on the starter. Never liked priming that way. Easier to run the fuel pump until I hear it start to slow down as the needle valve in the carburetor closes on a full bowl. Webers, and Edelbrock copies of same, are notorious in my opinion for bleeding down and emptying themselves when left sitting.

Sailor95

Cadet
New in a sense of it being under my care and ownership, it was our family boat and my dad always had it serviced at the marina but that was ages ago. Not alot of fuel was left in it after my attempts last year (less than 5 gal) and i also ran stabil through it when testing in hopes to preserve the gas and tank cleanliness. Also only ran non ethanol fuel through it so no worries in that department. But you are right in cart before horse, i will know more after fiddling with it this weekend.