Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All;

2007 Mercruiser 4.3L V6 - Alpha 1 drive

- Rebuilt carb
- new plugs, dist cap and rotor
- new fuel filter
- drain and replaced gas with new
- compression is good

No power under load. Starts fine but rumbles. It appears that 2 cylinders are not firing. 1 of which comes in and out for about 2 minutes, then out for 2 minutes. When the 5th is running I am missing around 500+rpm, and when both are out I am missing around 1000+ rpm.

I assume there is an ignition controller - I have to DL the manual still but thought I would get some advice first.

Thanks in advance.

alldodge

Staff member
Compression numbers please?

Engine serial number would be great

Guessing you have a carb but missing on 2 cylinders and have replaced cap, rotor and plugs. Now unless the wires are bad, then its a compression issue

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
All 6 cylinders are at 175lbs after 4 turns on each - they seemed very consistent.

Suggestions???

alldodge

Staff member
Serial number?

Have you checked timing and if so did you place motor in base timing?

Double check the firing order?

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm up north in the middle of no-where trying to help my dad with his boat.

The carb rebuild was done at a carb specialty shop - I always use them as they are very good.

I don't have my timing gun - but we are seeing if we can borrow one.

The engine calls for MR43LTS and what was installed was AC Delco 12607234 which I believe is a colder plug. I can't find the right plugs anywhere near us - best I can find is Champion RS12YC.

I tested for spark with a different plug and had good spark. I tested the installed plugs and they seemed weak.

All I think I can do is check the timing and go with champion plugs. Any thoughts on that? I have limited options other than for him to be stuck for 4 weeks until I get back up north.

alldodge

Staff member
I'll say this IF your motor calls for MR43LTS then there is no issue what so ever using RS12YC. There is nothing wrong with Champion plugs and I like them

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks everyone. After doing everything, and I mean everything short of pulling the engine apart, she is now running 'better' than new. lol I really appreciate the feedback and it helped.

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
No - standard style of cap. I'm curious if there is a reason for the question? i.e. crab style has issues or something??

alldodge

Staff member
No - standard style of cap. I'm curious if there is a reason for the question? i.e. crab style has issues or something??

The flat caps go bad quite often, they can look great and still have issues