Roller Cams?

Oldav8tor

Cadet
Does anyone know if the 230 HP Chevy V8 in my 1987 FourWinns would have roller or flat tappet cams?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Do you have an engine serial number? With that we can tell you.

Chris.........

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Flat tappet. Rollers first became available in 1988 and then, only to the car market( corvette, followed by camaro and firechicken). Trucks came next, and then finally marine motors in the early to mid 90s

Are you looking for more power? Vortec heads and a comp cams xm-264h cam kit (anything bigger needs more motor and different exhaust(

achris

More fish than mountain goat
OP called the year of the boat, not the engine. That's why I asked for the engine serial number.

Oldav8tor

Cadet
Thanks for responding.
I believe the serial # is B530318 - my reason for asking is a discussion I was in on a site devoted to Willys manufactured Military Jeeps (I have a 1952 M38A1.) The bottom line is that modern oils have less and less of a Zinc & Phosphate additive (Zinc dithiophosphate - ZDDP) that is absolutely necessary for the health of older flat tappet engines. I use Shell Rotella T 15W40 in my Jeep (and old Ford Tractor) which has nearly 5 times the ZDDP of most oils. I got to wondering about my Chevy 230 as to whether I shouldn't be running the same in it.
In answer to another question - I am not looking for more power. The 230 pushes my boat pretty good. I'm just looking to keep my 31 year old engine as healthy as possible.

Last edited:

Oldav8tor

Cadet
Oops! Sorry for the repeat.....
In answer to another question - I am not looking for more power. The 230 pushes my boat pretty good. I'm just looking to keep my 31 year old engine as healthy as possible.

Oldav8tor

Cadet
Come to find out the old reliable Shell Rotella T3 I've used for years is out of production, replaced by Rotella T4 with even more protection. Shell says it is still the mineral oil of choice for older engines. For the oil geeks out there I've attached a spec sheet for some of their oils.
Shell.jpg