Clicking when trying to start

arminius

Seaman Apprentice
Had on ongoing starting problem with my mercruiser 3.0 on my 2009 Bayliner Deck Boat. Seems like with a fresh charge, starts fine. However, if battery sits for a week, I get the dredded click, click when trying to start it.

I checked the battery, and plenty on juice in it. I even replaced the battery, and same issue. I've used a jump pack, and sometimes that gives it enough, but sometimes not. Assuming something needs to be replaced. I've seen posts it could be a starter selenoid. But not sure how easy of a replacement that is. Any other thoughts? I'm moderately handy at best with boats, but if something that takes less than an hour and basic tools, I'll give it a try. Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I'd first try cleaning all the cables. Remove then, use a wire brush and clean them to shiny metal. Don't for get the negative cables too, and where they contact the engine block.

Chris........

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'm with Chris,.... Corroded wirin' connections,....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
using a wrench to attach your cables to the battery? can't count the number of finger-tight wing nuts I've seen on boats. That is almost certainly going to be a problem, and sometimes clamping on with a jump pack is enough to tighten it up.

arminius

Seaman Apprentice
I'd first try cleaning all the cables. Remove then, use a wire brush and clean them to shiny metal. Don't for get the negative cables too, and where they contact the engine block.

Chris........

When you mention the cables, there are lots around the engine. Would it be starting with the battery and moving toward the starter?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I would start at the battery positive and move all the way to the starter (including any battery switches), then return to the battery and do the same with the negative cables.

Chris......

alldodge

Staff member
Is the click coming from the starter solenoid or the slave solenoid?
If slave then just needs replacing in most cases

arminius

Seaman Apprentice
Is the click coming from the starter solenoid or the slave solenoid?
If slave then just needs replacing in most cases

Sounds like it's coming from back of engine (by prop area). Would that be the starter selenoid?