Seawater intake scoop questions

Ryland3210

Seaman
I have a 2002 5.7 Mercruiser 260 HP EFI I/O I want to plug the hose from the outdrive to the pump and install a through hull scoop in its place.
1. How large a hose do I need?
2. Is an additional strainer required? (There isn't one on the original system.)
Thanks,

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... The hose is the size of the pump inlet,.....

Sea strainers are nice, but not necessary,....

Ryland3210

Seaman
Figured that, but sometimes one can get away with smaller. The holes in the outdrive are smaller, but there is a bunch of them, but then the water whizzing by has to might the turn into the inlet, but, but, but.

Thanks.

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2002 5.7 Mercruiser 260 HP EFI I/O I want to plug the hose from the outdrive to the pump and install a through hull scoop in its place.
1. How large a hose do I need?
2. Is an additional strainer required? (There isn't one on the original system.)
Thanks,

what outdrive do you have?? if its an alpha (you cant do a through hull)... the water pump is in the drive.... bravo... engine mounted

thumpar

Admiral
what outdrive do you have?? if its an alpha (you cant do a through hull)... the water pump is in the drive.... bravo... engine mounted

Some Alpha drive boats came with the engine driven pump just like a Bravo. It can be added even if it doesn't have it.

Ryland3210

Seaman
It's a Bravo III. The pump is on the starboard side of the engine. I want to add an autopilot, but the hose from the pump to the outdrive is in the way.