Bravo 3 stern drive Exhaust Bellows and Trim fluid question

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Posting for a buddy - he has a 1997 Bravo 3 DP on his Jubillee deck boat. The power trim fluid is low and he doesn't know what kind of fluid is in there now (I told him to get a turkey baster and glass jar and see what color it is.) Assuming it's not ATF, he's going to put in Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering Fluid 92-90100A1. I told him the correct thing to do would be to drain the entire system and then fill, but I don't think he will listen....

Also, the exhaust bellow needs to be replace and in the manual I see where they put adhesive on the end that goes on to the gimbal, but can't see if adhesive is supposed to go on the bell housing. Any insight on this is appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Use 10W30 motor oil in the power trim

Only reason to replace the exhaust bellows is to keep it a bit more quite. It will run just fine without it. Using adhesive is good, and most often you would use power tune on the other end and it helps slide on and then drys quickly.

If the exhaust is bad, most likely the main is also

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it ok to put 10w30 in the reservoir if he isn't sure what is in there now?

Agree on the exhaust bellows being bad = ujoint bellow being bad. Going to put eyes on it tomorrow.

alldodge

Staff member
Is it ok to put 10w30 in the reservoir if he isn't sure what is in there now?

Yes, it is listed this way in the Merc manuals. Can also use 10W40, but I would only use that in warmer climates

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks AD - appreciate your help (as always).

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
A Bravo 3 doesn't use an exhaust bellows, it should have an exhaust tube installed. The Bravo 3 drive exhaust passages are pretty small and MerCruiser recommends exhaust bellows not be used.So there is no need for anything on the aft part of the tube because it doesn't attach to anything.

MerCruiser also recommends Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering Fluid when topping of any of the newer power trim systems as it is less likely to foam compared to motor oil.