2014 4.3 merc water in oil

Chetmo

Cadet
2014 MerCruiser 4.3 mpi
initial startup and systems check appeared to be fine.
checked the oil and all looked well. First startup in a few months after the winter months. Motor began to run rough and water/oil shot out the dipstick tube. Immediately killed the engine.

I vacuumed as much oil/water out as I could. I drained all the water out. I have oil/water on spark plugs on both sides of the engine. I put a few quarts of oil back into the engine to try and override water sitting internally on the engine components until I can figure out what is wrong. A few searches showed me some issues on older setups that pointed to risers and intake gaskets. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

Could be riser or intake gasket(s) . . . but . . . 'winter months' would also indicate a cracked engine block from inadequate winterization. So, maybe tell us about the winterization.

Bondo

Staff member
initial startup and systems check appeared to be fine.
checked the oil and all looked well. First startup in a few months after the winter months. Motor began to run rough and water/oil shot out the dipstick tube. Immediately killed the engine.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Was the block, 'n manifolds Drained durin' the winter lay-up,..??

If not, My guess is the block is cracked, 'n ya need a new motor,.....

Chetmo

Cadet
So the boat was stored in my shop in south Louisiana. Very rarely do we see below freezing temps here. But we did see a couple upper 20 temp days this year. Most of the time it’s not an issue and people run boats year round. This year was somewhat of an anamoly and it sat a little longer than I would have liked.

Chetmo

Cadet
Even with closed loop cooling and 27-28 degrees for a few hours. My shop isn’t insulated but I figure there wotks be a temp difference

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
funny thing about winter weather, even down here in FL, the air temperature 6' off the ground can be 28, however the ground temperature will be close to 22 and the bird bath will be frozen solid.

closed cooling would have glycol in the engine and in the manifolds if its a full system. only the engine with a half system.. so if 50%-50% EG/water was used, then no, there would be no way for the block to crack and freeze that way. However with a half system the manifolds are full of water and with both systems the elbows are. so if either froze, the manifolds or elbows would pour water into the exhaust ports.

if there is an engine oil cooler, that would freeze as that is raw water cooled.

so you now have to determine the following:
  • what is the specific gravity of your coolant? (should be about 1.07)
  • is your HX a full system or half system?
  • does your motor have an oil cooler?

Chetmo

Cadet
I’ve been fortunate for a very good marine mechanic to take the boat in. He is going to tear into it in the morning and do some pressure test to try and locate the culprit. I can still pray for the block to not be cracked.

I just determined that the task would be too much for me with my work schedule and so many unknowns going into it. I will report back.

Thanks for the help and super fast responses!

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, a pressure test on the cooling system will be a good thing to do to isolate the problem. I tend to agree, that a few hours at 20's F temp will not freeze the block, but if it were a few days, then probably.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
both NOLA and Baton Rouge had record tying/breaking low temps in December 2017 and January this year. there were a few cold snaps, end of december/beginning of January as well as 3rd week of January.

14 degrees recorded in Baton Rouge on January 17th

so depending on where the OP is located, it may have been colder than the 20's

pressure test will tell what failed.

Bondo

Staff member
I tend to agree, that a few hours at 20's F temp will not freeze the block, but if it were a few days, then probably.

Ayuh,..... I know I've said this before, but,.....

An ole mentor of mine always claimed that 6 hours at 26* is all it takes to freeze bust a block,.....
Can't say for sure though, I've tried to Not ever test his claim,....

tpenfield

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I know I've said this before, but,.....

An ole mentor of mine always claimed that 6 hours at 26* is all it takes to freeze bust a block,.....
Can't say for sure though, I've tried to Not ever test his claim,....

Yes, I recall seeing a post or two here on iBoats about someone who recorded the engine bay temp as the outside temp dropped. 6-12 hours was generally what it took IIRC. Of course if the boat is inside a building, the temperature drop would be all that much slower, but still a concern during a cold snap.

Looking forward to updates on the engine block testing.

tpenfield

Staff member
FWIW - Looks like a couple stretches in January is when things might have gotten a bit too cold. Not sure if this is the OP's exact location, but probably indicative.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BatonRougeJan2018.png Views:	2 Size:	98.7 KB ID:	10548791

Attachments

• BatonRougeJan2018.png
    BatonRougeJan2018.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 0

Chetmo

Cadet
I’m much lower and across the state from BR but regardless it’s on me. No question about that.

Block is cracked...after researching the post above with blocks I’m trying to figure out what blocks are compatabile. I don’t want to go a reman route. Well...my boat guy doesn’t want to go that route. Trying to see what all blocks will be cross comparable.

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Block is cracked...after researching the post above with blocks I’m trying to figure out what blocks are compatabile. I don’t want to go a reman route. Well...my boat guy doesn’t want to go that route.

Ayuh,..... Do you, 'n yer boat guy realize that ya can't just get another bare block, 'n swap yer internals into it,....
Not without alota machine work anyways,....

To replace the bare block, ya still gotta do a full on rebuild of it,.....
Just too many things need to match exactly,... a couple 1000ths of an inch here, 'n there need to be corrected,...

Buyin' a reman is quicker, easier, 'n no doubt cheaper,.....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I’m much lower and across the state from BR but regardless it’s on me. No question about that.

Block is cracked...after researching the post above with blocks I’m trying to figure out what blocks are compatabile. I don’t want to go a reman route. Well...my boat guy doesn’t want to go that route. Trying to see what all blocks will be cross comparable.

Thanks.

if the block is cracked, you either did not have enough antifreeze in your heat exchanger or you dont have a heat exchanger as you stated in post #6

you gotta get a complete long block from somewhere. either yank one out of a salvage yard truck, or get a new long block from GM or get a reman. as bondo stated, you cant just get a block, you get an engine. with just a block your looking at new pistons, rings, bearings, machine work to reuse your crank and rods. at that point you would already be on the water with a reman.

Chetmo

Cadet
Thanks for the help. Any recommendations on the more reputable long block/short block remans. There are tons of them out there! I’m going to work on casting numbers today to try and get a match.

tpenfield

Staff member

Thanks.

+1 to what Bondo said about a block swap (maybe best to get a built-up long block). If it is any consolation, you may have the distinction of being our first cracked block of the 2018 season. :noidea: