87 Sea Ray 3.0l Merc and Alpha one Gen 1 overheating

toneybrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, recently picked up a nice boat for a good price. Engine runs fine after setting timing but seems to be getting hot. I want to replace the Impeller as the first order of business and hope that is the only issue. However, with the Gen 1 and Gen 2 with the same names I'm not sure what kit I actually need. I don't trust sites to be accurate, so I figured I'd ask someone here who has some experience with this outdrive.

My old OMC Cobra was a snap to replace, while looking at videos I see I have to drop the lower to get at this one. Not ideal, but I think I can get it done with the right parts to put it back together.

So, can someone like me the correct kit, or the part number I need for the Gen 1 outdrive?

Thanks,
Toney

hoowahfun

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That one should work. No gasket between upper/lower halves, primary concern is the impeller housing, water tube, and seal on the oil passage. That link is similar to one I bought for mine and just did this weekend. You'll have some extra o-rings and gaskets since the kit is for several different variations of the outdrive. Just match with the ones you took off and pay attention to the order. There is one gasket and large o-ring that goes on the bottom of the impeller housing.

toneybrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the response. I plan to take pictures of everything as it comes off, so I can increase my chances of putting it all back together correctly. I have found some repair videos I think will help out.

toneybrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pulled everything off today, and found the impeller mangled and a little bit of melting on it. So looks like that is the cause of the over heating issue. Now I just have to get the old impeller off the shaft. It is pretty stuck on there!

BTW, is there anything I should look at cleaning besides the gasket area before replacing and reinstalling everything?

hoowahfun

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Were there any pieces missing from the impeller? If so you will want to look through your hoses and passages as best you can for it and get it out.

I just made sure to clean all o-ring and gasket contact surfaces as well as the water tube on each end just a little. There's a rubber sleeve type piece in the top of the impeller housing where the water tube goes which will need to be replaced (I almost missed it). I also like to clean all the threads and bolts as best I can. Also make sure to put the impeller in with the "fins" flexed the right way.

hoowahfun

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh, one more thing I did. Next to the impeller housing on the bottom part of the outdrive, where the small shift shaft is, I would make sure that is clear. Mine was full of sand and wasn't allowing it to drain well out of the small hole on the bottom.

toneybrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Were there any pieces missing from the impeller? If so you will want to look through your hoses and passages as best you can for it and get it out.

I just made sure to clean all o-ring and gasket contact surfaces as well as the water tube on each end just a little. There's a rubber sleeve type piece in the top of the impeller housing where the water tube goes which will need to be replaced (I almost missed it). I also like to clean all the threads and bolts as best I can. Also make sure to put the impeller in with the "fins" flexed the right way.

Thanks, I will check those spots. BTW, did you remove the bottom section of the impeller housing? I just took off the top and removed the impeller. Is there a gasket that needs to be replaced under the bottom section as well?

hoowahfun

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, I removed the lower half of the impeller housing. There is a gasket and a large o-ring that came in my kit that I replaced. It may be a little tough to remove. Just gently pry on each side with a screw driver. I didn't pry on the actual edge of the bottom of the housing, but on the sides a little to get it moving. Once it was up about half an inch I was able to pull up on it with my hands and slide it out.

Attachments

• photo286890.jpg
    photo286890.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • photo286891.jpg
    photo286891.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

toneybrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, I removed the lower half of the impeller housing. There is a gasket and a large o-ring that came in my kit that I replaced. It may be a little tough to remove. Just gently pry on each side with a screw driver. I didn't pry on the actual edge of the bottom of the housing, but on the sides a little to get it moving. Once it was up about half an inch I was able to pull up on it with my hands and slide it out.

Excellent! I could wiggle the lower half, just didn't try to move it up just yet. My kit should be in tomorrow or Friday. Hoping to get everything buttoned up by this weekend to give it a go on the local lake.