94 spectrum 3.0 few questions

Spectrum94

Recruit
Hello guys I'm kinda stuck and I can't seem to find the problem. I have a 94 spectrum 18' with a 3.0l merc cruiser and I have a few questions if you guys can help great because I'm about ready to sell if I can't fix by middle of summer, new to forum. I have some starting issues with it, I have gotten to carb cleaned and new starter, spark plugs,battery, what's happening is every time I start it even when the engine is warm I have to prime it every time to get her started back up and it takes a lot to start and almost have to flood it out to get it started, sometimes that don't even work and I'm stuck on the water, Once started it runs great, any info on what I can replace or check would be great sorry not great at explaining but hopefully I explained good enough haha. Another thing the bolt that holds the alternator or the engine block keeps back out, any info on this would be great as well as I'm sick of every time I go out spending a half hour trying to put the belt and alternator back on.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
First, welcome to I-Boats. After a few post, you can post pictures. What we like here is serial numbers off the moor to lead you to a proper repair. Sounds like the carb needs to be rebuilt properly, how was it cleaned? If just sprayed down with cleaner, it's still dirty inside. Them are fairly reliable motors so we should be able to get you set up for a good running rig. What condition is the distributer cap and rotor? Possibly just needs a proper tune up. As far as the alt, some pics of how the setup looks now would be helpful, maby it was cobbled up before you got it.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I would do a once over of the entire fuel system starting at the anti-syphon valve which is a ball check valve where the fuel pickup enters the fuel tank, right through to rebuilding the carburetor like Grub recommended. Check it, clean it, make it perfect. An old hardened and cracking fuel hose can leak air and the fuel will run back through a dirty anti-syphon valve draining your entire system and making it impossible to start. If you replace any fuel hose, make sure you use the right marine hose to stay safe and legal.

I like to use Vibra-Tite on all bolts in my boat. This is a high viscosity thread locker and can help keep bolts in place. If you have a bolt coming loose, spend the couple dollars and replace it with an unworn one and use a thread lock, like Vibra-Tite or any other non-permanent type on it. Check that the pulleys are all aligned as well.

Rick

kenny nunez

Captain
One other thing to check, get a test light or volt meter. Test to see if there is voltage at the + side of the coil while in the cranking mode. The small wire that is on the terminal closest to the engine block on the starter solenoid is the “by-pass” that connects to the coil, and over time the contacts in the solenoid get corroded or carboned over. Especially after the engine has been warmed up. Quite often a dead “by-pass” circuit will cause the issue you are experiencing also.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
One other thing to check, get a test light or volt meter. Test to see if there is voltage at the + side of the coil while in the cranking mode. The small wire that is on the terminal closest to the engine block on the starter solenoid is the “by-pass” that connects to the coil, and over time the contacts in the solenoid get corroded or carboned over. Especially after the engine has been warmed up. Quite often a dead “by-pass” circuit will cause the issue you are experiencing also.

Smart guy.

kenny nunez

Captain
Thanks Rick! I ran into this particular problem quite often when I had my shop. Water and electric parts never seem to get along.

Bondo

Staff member
The small wire that is on the terminal closest to the engine block on the starter solenoid is the “by-pass” that connects to the coil,

Ayuh,.... While this is a probable cause Kenny,...

Ya got the tiny terminals backwards,....
The tiny terminal closest the block is the starter exciter terminal,....
The outer tiny terminal supplies battery voltage to the ignition, while the starter is engaged,...

Spectrum94

Recruit
Thanks guys for the help, as soon as I get her uncovered and dewinterized as I live in the great old upstate ny, I'll try a few things and get numbers for you guys. But I'll keep you guys posted and thanks again for the help