Looking for opinion on impeller change

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,

Looking for some opinions on if I should change my impeller this year. I know merc recommendation is 3 years or 300 hours or something along those lines. I replaced the impeller when I first got the boat March of 2016. That first year was primarily lake use with a few salt water excursions. Put about 30 hours on it. Last year was first year with the boat in a slip in saltwater bay. Was in the water from May - October all saltwater and I put about 60 hours or so on it. Flushed out with Saltaway before the winter. So are thoughts that the impeller should be good to go for this year, or should I replace it? Not sure if because it is sea water vs fresh if that accelerates need to change. Never had any issues at all with over heating or cooling last year. (Knock on wood). Cost not really a factor...I did it myself last time so woudl do it again, so only really the cost of the impeller kit and gear oil...no labor. (and maybe a pizza)

Thanks!
Dave

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm no pro here, but just to offer my thoughts on it.. lol

You said cost is not really an issue, so if it were me, I'd replace it
While it may not be entirely necessary, if it's going to be in salt, then I'd personally want to replace it every year simply as preventative maintenance..
This would also serve to help keep the bolts from corroding up to the point they're a pain to get out and could take more time and possibly cause bigger issues..

Lastly, the fact you're wondering about it, to me anyway, is enough reason to change it. Piece of mind! :D

Anyway, that's just my own personal thoughts on it. By no means is it a recommendation or advice since I'm not a pro.. lol..

Hope it helps!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
When installing impellers I always used either OMC gasket sealer or Permatex Aviation on the bolts and I have not had problems with them seizing up in salt water use. As far as the frequency of replacement, this would be more a function of shallow water use where you may suck up sand, that is what really wears the impeller. The other issue in salt water is that if the boat is moored or slipped in salt water you can get growth in the water intake holes and that can cause low raw water flow which can cause elevated running temps and eventually wear the impeller as well.

Bondo

Staff member
[QUOTEI did it myself last time so woudl do it again, so][/QUOTE]

Ayuh,..... To go along with the comments above,.....

If it's the factory type black rubber impeller,....
I betcha, if you take that impeller out, 'n set it on the bench, it's to stiff to straighten out, 'n if bent back, cracks are probably visible at the root of the blades,.....

'course, if ya take a look at it, ya may as well swap it out at the same time,.....

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Great, thanks for the comments!!! The one I replaced it with was the kit from local large marina store around here. It was the black rubber type. I know the boat has also been in some shallow scenarios, so didn't know about the sand. I believe I put a little anti seize or lube on the bolt threads last time, so hopefully everything comes off ok. I'll add it to the list of spring to do's!!! Thanks again!!!

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Another follow up question on this....when I replaced it last time, I got a whole kit that came with a new pump housing and such. This time around, can I just replace the impeller itself, or should I go full kit again. Also, anyone have a good spot to look up mercruiser part numbers? I'm having a hell of a time finding things and my repair manual doesn't list part numbers.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hmm...
You have an outdrive, and I'm really only familiar with full outboards...
I believe they are extremely similar as far as the lower where the water pump is... Not much else though is similar.. lol

What I did for my outboards, was I bought 2 full kits.
Did a full kit, leaving one as "In Stock"...

Then, when next change happens, I look at the condition of everything..
If the metal wear plate in my pump is scored, I would replace that and the impeller while using the existing housing/cup etc..
If not scored and everything else looks good, then I'll just change the impeller.
However, if anything in the housing/cup looked off, I'd throw the whole kit in.

Then, I buy the parts I used so I have a full kit again "In Stock"..

Not sure if that's a good way to do it or not, or even if you want to do that.. lol

Just a thought!

Have you tried using the shop button here on iBoats and then do a search or use oem part finder?

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
That's a good plan. I have tried the parts search on here, and not finding anything. It doesn't give me any models (3rd drop down) available when I try to look up the parts.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ahh.. yeah...
Mercruiser gives list of years. Sometimes ranges.. 2010 can be in a few spots..

If you select Mercruiser, then go to the bottom of the years list, and select "All Years",
Then you should be able to start typing your Model/Serial Number into the "Model" box (e.g. 1G3 ) and any thing that starts with 1G3 should show up in the drop down.

Select your appropriate engine, and there's your parts!

At least that's how it should work.. Try that if you haven't already!

And if you do find and purchase here, don't forget the forums 5% discount code!! :D

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Ahhhh, ok. I will give that a shot!!! I got to the part where it was asking for something in the Model box, and I was expecting a drop sown of some sort. Didn't realize it was looking for typed.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, it'll start to fill in a dropdown of choices once you start typing.. It filters it based on what you enter.. :D

Driver50x

Cadet
Is there a better quality impeller available, besides the black ones? What is the best brand of impeller to use?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is there a better quality impeller available, besides the black ones? What is the best brand of impeller to use?

Old inactive thread. Please start a new thread of your own with some detail. Tell us what drive and/or motor you need an impeller for.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.