Kill switch wiring

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
The previous owner removed the kill switch and put in a toggle switch...i bought a new kill switch but it didn't come with wiring instructions...in the picture with the toggle I know the orange is not used with the kill switch, but not sure where the purples, pink/black and black wires go. Two terminals are marked with a C and the other two are M

Attachments

• IMG_20180221_211419.jpg
    IMG_20180221_211419.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20180221_221426.jpg
    IMG_20180221_221426.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 3

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Most kill switches remove the power from the purple wire The switch has the orange/red as 12v power, the pink/black and black for the lighted toggle and purple for the ignition system

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most kill switches simply break the ignition ( purple wire)

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, so I assume both the purples need to go to either the c or m terminals or does it matter? And then the pink/black and black to the other two

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there are only two connections on a battery type ignition kill switch.

if you have a universal, then you only use two. the M is for a magneto so that would be for an outboard, use your multi-meter and check the two marked C.

Bondo

Staff member
The previous owner removed the kill switch and put in a toggle switch...i bought a new kill switch but it didn't come with wiring instructions...in the picture with the toggle I know the orange is not used with the kill switch, but not sure where the purples, pink/black and black wires go. Two terminals are marked with a C and the other two are M

Ayuh,.... Whatcha workin' on,..??

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is on my scarab 26. Original motor was a 502 mpi and now it has a 496 ho. It is a universal kill switch, the reason I'm asking about the pink and black also is because i have a picture of the back of the kill switch on the exact same boat and on theirs they use 4 wires. The picture I attached is of this other boat but his terminals are not marked c or m....i must be over thinking this lol

Attachments

• IMG_20180222_092332.jpg
    IMG_20180222_092332.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 3

alldodge

Staff member
Just guessing because I would need to use an ohm meter to verify connections.

The C terminals get the purple wires. When wires are on try to start the motor, if it starts, this is where the switch needs to be to work. Place lanyard in place to flip switch if you go overboard. Sure if it does work you can flip the other way.

The Black and Pink/Black probably go to a light which illuminates when key is turned ON and lanyard has been pulled. If this is the case, the M terminals should make connection when lanyard is pulled and be open when its in place.

Verify with ohm meter