Outdrive noise?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Good luck getting a text. Forums aren't a place to post phone numbers, ever. You can post a link to a UTube video. That would be best. Get your answers on the forum. That's how forums work, after all.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Make, model, year, serial number. Please tell us what you're working on, and describe the problem. We aren't telepaths, or crystal ball readers...

Chris.........

Woody86

Recruit
Make, model, year, serial number. Please tell us what you're working on, and describe the problem. We aren't telepaths, or crystal ball readers...

Chris.........

I posted another post with the YouTube link. And I can't even get to it now cause it says I'm not authorized. Sorry I'm having a pretty hard time navigating this forum on my phone

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You only have two posts, and they are both in this thread. unless you have another account, you did not post a link

Maclin

Admiral
Woody86 , I saw the other post you had and even posted a reply to it and now it is not in my activity either. Anyway, the link you posted was to the youtube home page, not a complete URL to a video there. I even responded to that one, asking if you could flesh out the full URL of the video.so we could view and listen to it.

Oops, slight breach in protocol, you usually get one of these first...:

Welcome Aboard!

Woody86

Recruit
Is this better? Damn these forums are harsh haha...
It's a mercruiser 170 not really sure what outdrive it is though?

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like clutch gears ticking. Is the prop slightly moving? May just need a shift cable adjustment

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
to me its the 470 ticking away...........before the head gasket goes...... I couldnt tell if its the shutter or the clutch dogs

Lewis1111

Seaman
Looks like you got a few good suggestions. Now time to start eliminating what it could be. I would start with the easiest and make sure the shift cable is correctly set, if that prop is spinning while the noise is occurring in neutral, just use a piece of wood to stop it and see if the noise stops; if so could be cable adjustment.

Next might want to look at removing the drive and hooking water directly to the engine either through the back or to the t stat housing on the engine and run it up and see if the noise persist. That will help you tell if its coming from the engine or drive.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Check the magnet on the drive oil drain plug. Sounds like a tooth missing.
Could also be a exhaust flapper went a wandering down the exhaust.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It's a Mercruiser 170 not really sure what outdrive it is though?

That is either an 'MR' or an 'Alpha One' drive. ('170' only ran 1985 and 1986)

That ticking sounds most like the exhaust shutters. Does it go away if you increase the engine speed to about 1400rpm? If so, it's shutters. If not, my next option would be dog clutches just touching. Try moving the shift control slightly towards forward or reverse, see if it goes away then.

Chris....