Help on 1992 Bayliner Trophy 2359

siletzsal

Cadet
Looking for some sage advice. The engine is a rebuilt (by previous owner) Mercruiser, 5.7 carb 260. Not sure of the year of this engine as the valve covers have bolts on the outer edge, rather than down the middle.Came with a new starter,altenator,carburator, exhaust manifolds & risers. It has a Alpha One Gen 2 outdrive. I'm looking to replace the engine with a new or reman vortec 5.7 with new intake manifold and electric fuel pump.Will this be compatible with the newer parts off the old engine? They only have about 10 hours on them.I've looked at Michigan Motorz, Centerline Engines and a company called Marineengines4less.com online. ME4L has some good prices, but I can't find any reviews on the company. I'm currently leaning towards Michigan Motorz. Even thought about a 383 stroker, but from what I have read here, my Alpha One Gen2 might not be strong enough to handle the extra hp. Your expert advice would be much appreciated.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Alpha`s are generally safe to 300 hp and a gentle throttle hand and all the parts will fit the newer block

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Plenty of alphas with 383's...just watch the hole shot. Perimeter bolt heads are 1984 or older

Externally the SBC blocks are the same. Different heads and different accessories

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... So, you want to replace a rebuilt motor, with 10 hours on it,..?? Why,..??

siletzsal

Cadet
The engine was "rebuilt" by the previous owner and I've had nothing but problems since getting it home.I made a mistake by not having it surveyed before I purchased it. I just want to put a new engine into it to be able to take the kids and grandkids out without having to worry about a major mechanical breakdown.

siletzsal

Cadet
Oil leaks from intake manifold, front main seal oil leak, # 3 cylinder compression was 130( the rest were 160-175), carbon blowing out exhaust and last time on the lake , a couple sounds I hadn't heard before ( detonation) ?