Quick question. Lower unit oil change

520YOTA

Cadet
Changing the gear oil on my 1990 4.3/alpha one.. the oil that cane out had a small amount of milky streaking in it, i know not good. I spaced getting new plug seals. The old ones look fine although they're hard. Can i just use a regular rubber o-ring instead? Im going to drain the oil again after taking it out tomorrow and see of its milky again. (This is a new to me boat) thanks!

Attachments

• photo285200.jpg
    photo285200.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would get the right flat gaskets. O-rings squish out and crack - You'll right where you started with possible water in the oil.

I would also pressure test the lower unit. It may not be the fill/vent gaskets causing the water intrusion.

With a new boat to you, replace the impeller.

520YOTA

Cadet
I'll get the proper gaskets along with the pressure test kit and a new impeller kit. Just wanna make sure it floats before i sink money into her! Thanks for the response. Cheers

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I'll get the proper gaskets along with the pressure test kit and a new impeller kit. Just wanna make sure it floats before i sink money into her! Thanks for the response. Cheers

Yeah too late unless someone gave it to you. :lol:

What boat is it anyway?

Rick Stephens

Admiral

Make your own pressure tester. It will be better than anything you can buy and a whole lot cheaper. Long term you want to own one that works.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’d imagine that’s just from poor fitting of seals last time. Get the correct and new type oem yellow seals and a proper fitting quality flat head screw driver and horse it back up tight. Should be fine.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Get the correct and new type oem yellow seals and a proper fitting quality flat head screw driver and horse it back up tight.
better yet, bag the OEM part for aftermarket plug that uses a hex key to remove.

520YOTA

Cadet
The boat is a 1990 Bayliner 2050... i know now that i probably shouldn't have bought an old Bayliner because of build quality.. but this one has solid floors and original interior. Under 200 hours as well!

it didn't sink!!

Actually she does pretty good in the water. Much quicker than the 3.0 powered Chap I sold to get it.

Ordered new oem seals. What aftermarket plug do you recommend? I HATE flat head screws. Going to build a pressure tester. Thanks guys, great forum here.

Watermann

If taken care of and not left out in the elements for years to rot Bayliners will last just fine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You want to replace all the plug gaskets every time you replace your gear oil. A little streaking was likely caused by that but a pressure test and a vacuum test would be a good idea.

You can buy the hex key plugs but if you don't over torque them, the slotted ones are just fine.

I own 2 Stevens testers, Yes...they are expensive but I didn't want to cluge something up. I bought them for the dealer price.
http://www.stevensinstrument.com/gearcase.htm

Watermann

Another thing to do just to be sure, pull off the prop to check for fishing line on the propshaft and grease the shaft before replacing.