Negative Battery Cable issue

KetchiMan

Seaman
2004 Trophy 2359 w/5.0L Merc and Bravo 3 outdrive

So it took me a new neutral safety switch and then a new starter (6 hours of my life I'll never get back) in order to figure out that my negative battery cable is corroded where it goes into the terminal eye, and isn't connecting well enough to engage the starter every once in a while. When it fails, all I have to do is wiggle the cable where it goes into the terminal eye and then it works, but that's not gonna cut it. It's not the connection to the battery itself, it's where the wire goes into the terminal eye that connects to the battery.

I've heard everything from "all you need is some anti-corrosion spray" to "you gotta get a whole new battery cable". I'd rather not get a new cable and I'd rather not have to try to fish mine out of the engine compartment. Can that terminal eye be replaced without removing the cable? What's the best way to go here?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
I've heard everything from "all you need is some anti-corrosion spray" to "you gotta get a whole new battery cable". I'd rather not get a new cable and I'd rather not have to try to fish mine out of the engine compartment. Can that terminal eye be replaced without removing the cable? What's the best way to go here?

Ayuh,.... I guess is amounts to how much reliability ya want,.....

My 1st thought was, cut off the few inches of corrosion from the end, 'n sweat/ crimp on a new end,....
Then I saw yer name, which leads me to believe yer boatin' in the brine,....
If so,.... Replace the entire cable,....
It's probably been wet with brine, which migrates up through the cable, 'n corrodes it inside for quite a distance,....
'n dry out yer bilge,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
spend the $20 on a new cable. then spring for the extra $1 for heat shrink to seal the ends.

Cables are cheap

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If one end of the cable is shot the other end is too. Get a new cable

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I'd rather not get a new cable and I'd rather not have to try to fish mine out of the engine compartment. Can that terminal eye be replaced without removing the cable? What's the best way to go here?

Thanks!
Both ends can probably be replaced. You would need to remove the cable, and cut the ends off. (only if the cable is long enough for the shorter cable to still reach)

Then, COMPLETELY (chemically) clean the exposed ends (every strand) to bare shiny metal such that you can "tin" the ends with solder. Then, crimp new (tinned) connectors on each end (Using Tinned cable ends on tinned cable eliminates eliminates dissimilar metal corrosion.........I also like soldering them too so they'll NEVER corrode again)

Then re-install the cable. Knowing the hassle of removing all the copper corrosion at each cable end (and strand) , It will be FAR EASIER to just replace the cable.

Also, if that ground cable is corroded at the ends, it's likely your positive cable (and other cables) is (are) corroded too.

There are no short cuts here. And no "mechanic-in-a-can" spray will help. Do it wrong and you'll be doing it again........

(Someone used say "Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over again?)

Regards,

Rick

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep just replace with Ancor marine cable. Its a bit hard to get at the bell housing where the ground for the engine is, but you can do it if you have small hands lol. Probably hiding behind the exhaust rubber tubes....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If the cable itself is in good condition then recrimp a new connector on. By good condition I mean when you cut the old end off and strip for the new connector it is a nice shiny copper or clean shiny tinned copper.No need to go nuts , the ground can be connected to any motor bolt, rear housing bolt, exaust manifold bolt, engine mounting bracket bolt, etc.