Mercruiser 120 hp and model 1 abc ez shift

DesertLaker

Cadet
Going through a new boat, to me from 67. Have had it on the water one time this past weekend for about 2 hours to see what the needs are.

Serial number on the engine is 2047306.
Have a seloc manual which is helping, but am asking what mercruiser manual numbers I should be looking to buy for my setup. Also, is there a parts manual that I might find out there as I need to put together a shopping list.

4 bolt cover just behind coil and distributor has a little weeping of oil from bottom of cover just below #4 cylinder. Will need gasket.
Rochester 2 barrel carb. Want to order carb kit, but not sure how to figure out which one. Idles fine at 750 but wants to die below that.
Plugs are new. Points, condenser, cap, wires all seemed fine for now, but want to order the correct tuneup items.
Seems to thump along just fine given the 50 years or so.

Temp - good
Alt - good
Pressure - good

Serial number for outdrive is 2062609
Has tilt. Has red toggle switch on panel with its own key.
Think that makes it an ez shift, but just guessing. So far, not able to find specifics. Has a single hydraulic line for each ram. Both weeping a little and need replaced.

Some chatter when going into forward. Not sure if the higher idle is part of the problem. Interrupt switch? Cable adjustment?
Also, not easy to get neutral. Have to go back and forth a few times to get there.

Next issue. Boat gets up to speed with no issue. Then speed starts to drop off even though rpm's remain steady.
Did not notice any exhaust from around prop when on the earmuffs on trailer so probably the right spacer?
Stock 19 pitch prop.
Did not smell any rubber, so not the coupler?
Prop looks well worn. Maybe a spun hub? Boat only came with the one prop. New one on the way. Any test on the trailer I can try?

First boat. Appreciate all the wisdom, advice and instruction that you all can pass along.

alldodge

Staff member
Going through a new boat, to me from 67. Have had it on the water one time this past weekend for about 2 hours to see what the needs are.

Serial number on the engine is 2047306.
Have a seloc manual which is helping, but am asking what mercruiser manual numbers I should be looking to buy for my setup. Also, is there a parts manual that I might find out there as I need to put together a shopping list.

Need manual No 1 for the motor and drive

4 bolt cover just behind coil and distributor has a little weeping of oil from bottom of cover just below #4 cylinder. Will need gasket.
Rochester 2 barrel carb. Want to order carb kit, but not sure how to figure out which one. Idles fine at 750 but wants to die below that.
Plugs are new. Points, condenser, cap, wires all seemed fine for now, but want to order the correct tuneup items.
Seems to thump along just fine given the 50 years or so.

Temp - good
Alt - good
Pressure - good

Serial number for outdrive is 2062609
Has tilt. Has red toggle switch on panel with its own key.
Think that makes it an ez shift, but just guessing. So far, not able to find specifics. Has a single hydraulic line for each ram. Both weeping a little and need replaced.

Here is the parts breakdown for the motor
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/120-gm-153-i-l4-1964-1972-1666601-thru
Here is the drive
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/120-140-1967-1969-2062141-thru-2791956

Some chatter when going into forward. Not sure if the higher idle is part of the problem. Interrupt switch? Cable adjustment?
Also, not easy to get neutral. Have to go back and forth a few times to get there.

Clatter going into gear in most cases is caused by going to slow shifting into gear, need to move it a bit quicker. Hard coming out is caused by mis-adjusted shift interrupter and/or lower shift cable. Since your having trouble with both, suggest replacing cable and while your at it check gimbal bearing and my need to replace boots.

Next issue. Boat gets up to speed with no issue. Then speed starts to drop off even though rpm's remain steady.
Did not notice any exhaust from around prop when on the earmuffs on trailer so probably the right spacer?
Stock 19 pitch prop.
Did not smell any rubber, so not the coupler?
Prop looks well worn. Maybe a spun hub? Boat only came with the one prop. New one on the way. Any test on the trailer I can try?

First boat. Appreciate all the wisdom, advice and instruction that you all can pass along.

Remove the prop and see if you can see if the hub is cracked up. If unable to see issue, make a mark on the inner prop and hub. Take it for another ride, then remove prop and see if marks are not aligned