Shift problems 82' Mercruiser 120 alpha 1 gen 1

erock1

Recruit
1st, Problem is when I shift into forward or reverse it doesn't fully engage until I give a little gas. I've adjusted the shift cables following a video on you tube which was very helpful. I've the process several times and still the same results. I don't have any play in the cables so those are good. To me it seems like I need the shift cable to extend a littlet more to fully engage the gears but I'm not 100% sure that's the problem.
2nd problem is my boat runs fine for the first hour or so but when it's been running for awhile and I come to a stop, boat still running and I go to put it in gear it'll die like the neutral cut off is being activated. Not sure what's going on with that.
3rd problem how the hell do I properly adjust the manual choke on the Rochester 2 jet. I get it close then the weather changes and the stupid thing will have a hard time starting. Drives me crazy.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

replace your shift cable (both first and second issues point to a worn out shift cable)

regarding starting - 3rd issue: please describe your sequence you use to start the motor

the proper sequence with a carbureted motor is as follows:

with a cold motor
two full pumps of the throttle
press throttle only switch and move throttle to 1/4
turn key
when motor starts, back off RPM to 1500 for about 30 seconds
pull back to neutral to re-engage gear selection

erock1

Recruit
Sounds about right with the shift cable, big pain in the butt. Now as far as starting goes, for the most part that's how I start my boat but sometimes it gives me ****. According to mikes carbs on how to adjust the choke is when motor is cold turn the butterfly closed then slightly more and that's it. Sound about right?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes. however if your fuel system has crud in it, the internal passages will plug up. in that case you may have to clean your 36 year old carb

first make sure that your accelerator pump is squirting when you give it gas
then make sure the choke is free and closes

erock1

Recruit
Thanks I appreciate all the info, I've been limping this old boat along for a couple of years, I need to upgrade.

kenny nunez

Captain
Check that the shift cable from the control box is traveling a full 3" from forward to reverse.