lube throttle cable

PeeWeeIV

Recruit
My first question here- I'm sure there will be more! I just bought a 1989 Penn Yan with a 4.3 liter Alpha 1 drive. The throttle is fairly difficult to move, and I'm wondering if the control cable could be binding slightly. Is there a way to lubricate it? If so, what should I use? Light oil? I read somewhere about lubing cables with dish soap? Another thing I want to check is the exhaust manifolds and elbows. This boat was used mostly in fresh water, but the previous owner told me that he used it occasionally in salt water. If I remove the elbows can I make an educated guess about the condition of the exhaust manifolds by looking down into the water passages? Thanks for any and all replies / suggestions. Steve

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Can't answer the exhaust question, but it is virtually impossible to lube control cables. Often cables become sticky and hard to move when the internal sheath wears at bends and the cable wire corrodes. Lubing the cable may improve operation, but only for a short time. Replacement is the best option.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I'd use marine grease to try lining the only bits you can lube.
The throttle linkages at each end and at the remotes. There are mechanical linkages and moving parts here.
Likely a new cable is required or will be soon.