'76 Mercruiser shift cables

italianstal27

Chief Petty Officer
Bought one of those inductive tachometers that wrap around the spark plug and keep track of hours.(need it for the 2 stroke kicker on our boat anyways).

Will report back with results.

alldodge

Staff member
The drive appears to be shifting OK, but the real test will be in the water.

italianstal27

Chief Petty Officer
This is probably too general of a question, but when we get it in the water Sunday, how do we know if it's shifting "to spec"?

What would you say are the 2 biggest things to look for?

Thanks!
-John

italianstal27

Chief Petty Officer
Here's a video of the exhaust in neutral. It was probably 48F outside. I'm hoping that explains the white smoke...

Temp gauge said we were running at 100F.
-John

alldodge

Staff member
If it shifts out of gear into neutral then your linkage and shift interrupter is adjusted correctly.

I don't see an issue with your exhaust

italianstal27

Chief Petty Officer
Ok so problems...

We splashed the boat! Most glorious success :)

Unfortunately, when we got the boat in, we were only able to shift into reverse, and couldn't go into neutral unless we killed the engine (even tried toggling the shift interrupter manually while someone shifted into neutral).

Got the boat out of the water, removed the lower shift. Lower shift cable will not engage forward no matter how hard you push. It will engage reverse.Before, and based on previous videos, your lower shift cable, in forward, should not cover the threads. There should be smooth metal. Our lower shift cable now goes all the way to the barrel.

My thought is, perhaps, the pin holding the interior shift cable has now become loose?

Spec says no more than 3/8" of play in the cable. Since we have no engagement in forward, I believe that points to a lower shift cable replacement?

alldodge

Staff member
It was shifting F/N/R all gears when on land. Put in the water and it won't go into neutral without killing the motor. This is the shift interrupter issue so far as I read

But now it won't go in forward?

italianstal27

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah weird stuff going on...

So the retaining screw that holds the interior cable fell out... Has anyone seen this before? Is it symptomatic of a bigger problem?

-John

IMG_20171029_112936.jpg

IMG_20171029_111439.jpg

We're looking at the manual now to determine how far in we're supposed to screw it.

Attachments

• IMG_20171029_111439.jpg
    IMG_20171029_111439.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... That screw doesn't get Tightened into place, which is why it is safety wired 'round that nub above it,....

italianstal27

Chief Petty Officer
Ah you're a gentleman and a scholar bondo thanks.

Sounds like we need to find where that old wire went lol