Which mark is 0 degrees :with pic :

al0311

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys I'm trying to put my distributor back in and I'm having trouble finding 0 degrees on this timing marker due to it being old and rusty. I sanded it down a little to see if there was any writing on it but couldn't find any. Any help would be much appreciated thanks I've attached a pic of it. Btw it's a 1990 4.3 mercrusier

Attachments

• photo276529.JPG
    photo276529.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 1

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
quite rusted but look for a groove in the harmonic balancer and line it up by looking down the hole in the tube that should put you at 0 , guessing 8 would be around the large V in the metal pointer

al0311

Petty Officer 3rd Class
quite rusted but look for a groove in the harmonic balancer and line it up by looking down the hole in the tube that should put you at 0 , guessing 8 would be around the large V in the metal pointer

Ohhh so you think I should look down that tube and when the groove in the harmonic balancer lines up with it is top dead center ?
I was thinking it was he notch right after the tube

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Personally when I do a motor I use a piston stop tool or a dial indicator on the piston to find TDC. and verify the line on the harmonic balancer agrees with it.
Sometimes the outer ring moves and the timing mark in not in the correct spot