2000 mercruiser 3.0L rough idle and hard start

Dion Schoening

Recruit
I have a 2000 Sea ray 180 with a Mercruiser 3.0L motor. I just changed the fuel pump to a Carter model number m60337. on the water the boat runs good above 1000 rpm, no hesitation Just gets up and goes and sounds good . but uber 1000 rpns idles like crap. I tried to set the idle mixture and idle screws under a load in the water but once going below 1000 rpm the motor does want to run very well. a couple times the motor died and in order to start it i have to go full throttle as if it's flooded. most of the times even if i used the key to shutdown motor I have the same issue, I have to go to full throttle to restsart. the funny thing is when I brought it home and put it on the ears to flush the motor it was starting right up in idle. still rough idle but would start. after what I have read here think I need to rebuild carb. or get a new one.

just wanted some input before I go down that road in case it much be another issue I am missing. thanks in advance for the help

achris

More fish than mountain goat
How was it before the pump change? Sounds like the pump is putting out too much pressure and flooding the carb. Check the pump output pressure.

Dion Schoening

Recruit
was running pretty good before change, any ideas on where I can get a guage. harbor freight only had a huge set but it didn't appear to go low enough for the low pressure pumps

Dion Schoening

Recruit
I checked the pressure throw 4.5-5.5 when trying to turn it over. not sure how would check it while motor is running.

serial number is OL631940

Last edited: