Starter Issues and Correct Part

tobyguy

Cadet
Hi All,

Couldn't re-start the boat after being in the middle of the lake (needed to be towed into shore).

The starter was sounding tired for the last year or so, turned slowly (no battery issues, was fully charged and I always bring a booster with me). This time it wouldn't start. A couple of years ago, the mechanic working on my boat told me it would likely have to be replaced soon, so I purchased the replacement, but didn't bother changing it out until it stopped working. Well yesterday was the day. According to mercruiser parts search, there are two options (863007A and 807904A). The other one that comes up (listed first), is 807904A then 863007A.

I bought 863007A. Since both are listed, I assumed either works? But maybe not? Maybe they are both listed as options depending on what was installed at the time? (eg. wheel is different as well??). Anyone know?

[FONT=&quot]The old one that I believe has died has 9000786 written on it (doesn't have the black paint on it, so I assume someone installed a car one at some point?). They look very similar, except the teeth might look a little different (very hard to tell), both have 11 teeth.

Any recommendations out there? I put in the new one, but it sounded like it was having a tough time catching, so I don't believe its the right one... (turned the key only once as I didn't want to mess anything up, so I removed it).

So my main question is if when there are 2 starter parts listed (both item number 1 under starters), are they both compatible or should I have pulled out the old one, verified the part number and order the same one, as they are not necessarily compatible?

thanks,

Paul
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Before you assume uts your starter, clean all the connections from tge battery to the block/starter. Also check id your cables are corroded. Most of the time its a bad connection

As for the interchangeably, post pics of the new and old. If the new is a PMGR, you are going to need shorter bolts

tobyguy

Cadet
Before you assume uts your starter, clean all the connections from tge battery to the block/starter. Also check id your cables are corroded. Most of the time its a bad connection

As for the interchangeably, post pics of the new and old. If the new is a PMGR, you are going to need shorter bolts

Hi Scott,

The previous owner let the water get up around the starter (had a ripped cover at the time) thus it's not in good shape, so I figured it's best to replace the starter anyhow. Corrosion inside very likely obviously.

They look identical, except maybe around the teeth (very hard to tell though). Will run down to the dock and post the pics in 15 minutes.

thanks!

Paul

tobyguy

Cadet

Hi Scott,

You were bang on. Brought down my drill with wire brush attachment and my hand held wire brush.

Brushed up all the connectors, and she started like a champ!

I'm still confused why the other one didn't work. I've got the pics on my phone. Will upload the pictures shortly.

thanks so much!! (should have started with the obvious and easier tasks first!)

thanks!

tobyguy

Cadet

Here are the pictures. The black one is the new one. The non-black one is the old one.

Side by side pictures and also the teeth.

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 10.29.54 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 10.30.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 10.30.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 10.30.35 PM.png