mercruiser manifold and rust

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
For what it's worth I just installed a set of Barr manifolds and risers on my '88 OMC 4.3 and they said "Made in USA".

guuben

Seaman Apprentice
Most castings are done where labour rates are cheapest, Mecho, Chinesia... I suspect Barrs are also foundered in one of those places. I wouldn't think the cylinder wall cracked just on a backfire. Not enough cylinder pressure. I would suspect more an improper winterising at some point, that engine is in a Scandinavian country after all. A little water left in the block that froze solid would be enough to weaken the wall so that a sudden spike in pressure would open up a crack. That's about the only explanation I can offer.

Cheers,

Chris..........
(in Australia :))

Hi Chris in Australia.

I want to turn the table....we who lives in scandinavia, has a long experience how to winterise are almost "experts" because this is a basic knowledge for every one who wants to have their engine running more than one summer :)
My personal "know how by practise" goes back to early sixties There has been a lot of boats and boatengines since that and winterising of those without any problems.

I wouldn't think the cylinder wall cracked just on a backfire" -Chris.
I begin to agree, bad material/casting in the cylinder probably the reason.

But good news is that, after a trip to mechanic shop with pics, the engine cylinder can be repaired !
The shop will drill up the cylinder and use rawmaterial for diesel sleeve what is much better quality than the original material.
The cost will be approx 600 euro...I think its a fair price.
I will not say what else he had to tell me ...I dont want to hurth anyones feeling here about these engines :)

But i most point out that I had about 20 years ago for a couple of years, a Coronet speed boat boat with a Mercruiser. Boat was second hand as the engine. No problem with that one. But this was at that time when "Made in usa" really meant made in usa - Hi Lou C 😏
made in US, made in Australia, made in Finland...maybe assambled, yes.

Last edited: