stator on 470

Charles Criss

Recruit
Could somebody tell me how to test the stator on a 470 mercruiser. This boat sat in side for 10 years . Went to run it and it is not charging. Put a new voltage regulator on about a year before last using it.. It appears to me that the stator is not sending any voltage to the regulator. But don't have much experience with stators. Thank for your time

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
remove the yellow wires and read with an ohmmeter, 0 ohms or close to 0. then read with one lead to ground and other lead of meter to each yellow wire. should read 0 ohms, any reading is a grounded stator.

remove the 2 yellow wires from the reg, set meter to AC volts, run motor . should see about 30 volts

Last edited:

khe

Petty Officer 1st Class
When the yellow wires are disconnected and an ohm meter is connected across the two yellow wires, the reading should be zero ohms (or very close to zero) for continuity. An infinite reading would indicate an opened stator. When you connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the engine ground and the red lead of the meter to each yellow wire individually, the reading should be infinite. Any other reading would indicate a short to ground.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
should read 0 ohms, any reading is a grounded stator.

Meaning you should not see any movement of the needle, any ohms reading indicates a short to ground (a resistance reading)

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
should read 0 ohms, any reading is a grounded stator.

Meaning you should not see any movement of the needle, any ohms reading indicates a short to ground (a resistance reading)

I know what you mean, but it should read INFINITE ohms to ground (open circuit, no needle movement, my digital reads OL), 0 ohms would be a dead short (needle swings all the way, or reads 0 on a digital meter). Read using a lower scale, 1K etc.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I know what you mean, but it should read INFINITE ohms to ground (open circuit, no needle movement, my digital reads OL), 0 ohms would be a dead short (needle swings all the way, or reads 0 on a digital meter). Read using a lower scale, 1K etc.

:thumb:

(BTW, 'OL' is 'overload'. ie, too many to indicate... LOTS of ohms!, an infinite quantity even ;))

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
I was wondering what the "OL" was, thanks, learned something today.👍 The analog meters had an infinity symbol ∞ for an open circuit.

Last edited: