speedometer not working

rbhawes

Cadet
I'm running a 2012 Glastron GT205 w/ the 4.3 I/O motor.

I noticed Monday while I was out on the water, my speedometer was not working. I've already ran a small drill bit with my fingers through the hole on the bottom of the lower unit, I disconnected the tube from the lower unit and blew (with my mouth) into the hole. I was able to feel the air pass through, so I know there is not blockage there.

any ideas what I should check next? is there a sensor that the water pressure is measured at, or does the rubber host go straight from the lower unit to the gauge? if that's the case, I guess it could be a blockage within that part, and I'll start from the gauge and blow some compressed air.

appreciate the help.

brsox88

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you use your boat in salt water alot? I recently fixed mine by disconnecting the tube to the back of the speedo and taking compressed air (from my 90 psi compressor) and blowing air from the speedo side which blew a lot of gunk and water out. Speedo works great now.

rbhawes

Cadet
Matter of fact all I run my boat in is salt water! Thanks. I'll give that a shot in the next couple of days once this weather clears!

rbhawes

Cadet
Nope. In fact, even very little water in bilge after all day of being on the water.

rbhawes

Cadet
well, as an update. I believe the speedometer is broke. I finally got up in the boat the other day, I took the line off the gauge and blew compressed air through, my buddy on the other said, all he felt was air and water coming through. After doing a water test, the speedometer was still not working. while in the water, I disconnected the line and it "pissed" water through, so at this point I guess it's a the Gauge.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Not uncommon. It's Bourdon tube gauge, and constantly being hit with sea water, it's going to corrode.