3.0 mercruiser no spark problem

warrenc123

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 3.0 mercruiser in a 1991 bayliner capri 1850 with est ignition that has been sitting for 4 or 5 years, it cranks well with a new battery i put in but i dont have any spark. i have verified all the safety swithes and tach are not the problem i know this is when i un hook the laynard it shuts power off to the coil on the purple wire coming out of the harness, so those things can not be the problem. i but currently i have power coming out of the purple wire into the ignition coil and i have a good ground between the harness and the ignition coil and there is another 2 wire plug coming out of the the ignition coil to the distributor and they both have power with the key on i put on a new distributor cap and rotor due to being pretty corroded. there is still no spark coming out of the ignition coil. i also checked the fuseable link in between the the distributor and ignition coil can anyone verify my thoughts?

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Start by disconnecting the gray wire from the boats tachometer. Then disconnect the wires from the shift interrupter. Check for spark again.

If no spark, look at the last couple pages of the bulletin in the link. It provides some test
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/bullet/90/90_15.pdf

warrenc123

Seaman Apprentice
i did all that and everything checks out good. is the shift interuptor supposed to be normallu closed

warrenc123

Seaman Apprentice
and am i supposed to disconnect just the grey wire or the whole tach because mine is all one molded plug on the back

warrenc123

Seaman Apprentice
and the black wire and the white and green wire on the shift interupt have continuity even when the shift switch is not connected and when unplug the power to coil from the harness it loses continuity

alldodge

Staff member
The black on the shift interrupter is ground, the White Green is used to ground the distributor when the shift switch is used.
The shift interrupter is normally open
The plug on the tack can just be removed.

What your trying to do by removing the wires, is to remove everything not needed for the motor to run. If the shift interrupter or the tach shorts out, this will stop all spark

warrenc123

Seaman Apprentice
i dont have a white and green on my distributor. just a pink and brown. therea the small plug on the left and larger one on tge right. the larger one is empty

warrenc123

Seaman Apprentice
my shift interupter has continuity across it at all times no matter what position it is in and even when i take it out i still have no spark

alldodge

Staff member
and the black wire and the white and green wire on the shift interupt have continuity even when the shift switch is not connected and when unplug the power to coil from the harness it loses continuity

i dont have a white and green on my distributor. just a pink and brown. therea the small plug on the left and larger one on tge right. the larger one is empty

Seems we are having trouble conveying what the issues are.

Did you do the test listed in the PDF file which is in the link in post 2 ?

warrenc123

Seaman Apprentice
yes i did every step. here are some pictures i hope they help. so far it has a brand new ignition coil., distributor cap and rotor. the boat has 12v at the purple wire going intp the ignition coil all the time. it grounds are clean between the coil mounting bracket and the block. the shift interuptor switch has continuity across the wires. i did all thw tests on the document you provided in post 2. im thinking maybe the ignition module

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Correct me I missed something
Have 12V on the positive side of the coil when key is turned ON
Disconnected tach and shift interrupter
Accomplished all test in PDF and all check good without issues

If all the above is correct then I have nothing. Sorry but someone else needs to try

warrenc123

Seaman Apprentice
okay. thank you for your efforts. please see post 10 as added some stuff for you

alldodge

Staff member
i just got the boat it was never there

This one is used to set timing and also connects to the shift interrupter
3_0L wiring Diag.jpg

As before, should have 12V on the purple wire, having that and everything else, I just don't know, it should either work, or show why its not

warrenc123

Seaman Apprentice
i see that. the white and green wire on my shift interupt and goes into thw harness then gets spliced into 2 grey wires. one going to the ignition coild amd the other one going into the rubber 90 degree plig

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Does the distributor turn when engine is cranking on starter