3.0 mercruiser no spark problem

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Did you check continuity of "spark plug wire" from the coil to the distributor?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
It appears your shift interrupt switch is not hooked up, so it shouldn't be causing the problem. BUT - you mentioned you have continuity with the switch not engaged. It is a "N/O" normally open switch. It will provide 12v to the distributor to kill the spark when it is engaged. So that will need to be fixed. It should have 12 volts leading to the switch, but nothing coming from the switch till it is engaged. Like this...

wiring%20Delco%20EST%20distributor_zps8laakpxs.jpg

warrenc123

Seaman Apprentice
okay but even when i disconnect the switch it still has no spark and on my boat there is no wire leading from the switch to thw distributor. i have a white and green wire that gets spliced into 2 grey wires inside the harness and a black wire thays grounded to the carb.

so your saying that when im in neutral i should not be having continuity

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
so your saying that when im in neutral i should not be having continuity

No, there should be no continuity thru the switch. If you managed to get the motor to run, you would not be able to shift out of gear when in then water without turning the motor off

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Check to see if you have 12V at this terminal on the coil when the ignition is on. If not, your coil might be bad.

Also, there are a couple different ways these distributors work and one of them is there is a hall effect switch (magnetic switch) inside the distributor and when the engine rotates, a disc with windows rotates between a magnet and the hall effect switch and makes the magnetic switch turn on and off... If yours is setup this way, you can rotate your distributor by hand with a voltmeter on the wire below the one circled below and you should see it changing voltage as you rotate the distributor. I can't say for sure if this will work with your distributor but you can try as a last resort.

Have you tried putting a spark plus in the end of the coil wire to see if it fires? This would at least eliminate cap and rotor related issues...

Capture1_zpshgsmrvfz.jpg

warrenc123

Seaman Apprentice
i do have 12v at the coil and its also a brand new coil i also tested to hall effect with mercruiser instructions locates on post 2 i will do the test you mentioned above when im out of work but i am.also putting in a new ignition module