MCM 165 GM inline 6

downhillphillyb

Recruit
I am having a hell of a time getting the timing set. Is there a good site where I can download the service manual? Previous owner installed pertronix igniter kit on it but I still have a resistance wire on it. I am getting less that the 8v at coil with ignition on. Tips, tricks, merc manual download? What is the easiest way to get TDC since the engine is installed and have to turn crank with starter. Every time I tap the key coming to TDC I pass the timing mark on the crank. Where should I start.

NHGuy

Captain
Welcome to the forum!

Here is the sticky page with Merc info, it's at the top of this forum
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...ation?t=329915

Some ignitions supply 12v only during start up, and then use lower volts during operation. I looked up the Pertronix setup for you. Only thing is , their page is a cluster. It's hard to find the Mercruiser instruction pages. If their other points conversions are any indication it appears you can use it either with or without the resistance system. .

I will dig some more and try to find the exact info for the Mercruiser I6 engines. Is your Pertronix Ignitor I, II, or III?

But in the meantime, to get to TDC without the engine slipping past the mark: Remove the spark plugs and the compression will no longer spin the engine past your desired stop.

You can confirm that it's on TDC-compression by feeling the #1 plug hole for a puff of air as it hits tdc. That only happens every other revolution. The rotor should point at #1 when you get the puff.

To be really precise on your crank positioning you may want to get a mechanics starter button, they are cheap and can be used to bump over or crank the engine as you are next to it.

Last edited:

NHGuy

Captain
Check this out. I guess they just don't update their online catalog.

From Pertronix web page...
[h=4]I have an engine with a point distributor, but I can't find a listing in your Catalog / Application Guide?[/h] If you can?t find your application in our Catalog / Application Guide, it does not mean that a kit is not available. We have many kits that have been developed for distributors and applications not listed in the Application guide. You may call our main office at 800-827-3758 for additional help. Before you call have the following information ready:
  • Distributors make
  • Distributor part number (located on the main housing before it tapers to the shaft)
  • Vehicle or Equipment make, model and year
  • Engine make and size
The more information you have about your vehicle or equipment the better.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

You don't have to be exactly at TDC to install the distributer. Agree if you pull the number 1 plug you can tell when its on the compression stroke. If it missed the TDC mark just put distributor in with rotor pointing a tooth past. Once its fired up adjust to 8 BTDC. If you cannot reach the 8 degree mark, just remove the distributor and move the rotor another tooth or so

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser3.html#/34

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Your ignitor needs 12v - you can easily bypass the resistance wire by running a wire from your electric choke (assuming you have an electric choke). You can still run the resistance wire to the coil if you did not change the coil - or simply replace the coil with one having internal resistance.

As above, the easiest way to turn over the engine is with the spark plugs removed. I have always found it easier (more accurate) to turn the engine over by hand. Simply put a long handled screw driver or something similar with a square shaft between the bolt heads on the circulating pump pulley and turn the engine that way.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Here's the instructions:

IgnitorIIinstructions2.jpg

IgnitorIIinstructions4.jpg

downhillphillyb

Recruit
Hey thanks guys. I just got it fired and already came up with a few tricks. You won't believe it but there #1 plug was grounding out the distributer somehow so I put another new cap and rotor in and fixed it. Thats why I didn't have good spark. No off to set timing and adjust the carb.