Is there a way to check the hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinsbd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering if there is any way to check how many hours are on my engine. Also, do you have a recommendation for adding an hour meter. My engine is in my signature.

Thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Well under "heavy usage" maybe 100 hours /year , "light usage " can be as little as 10 hours/year.
19 years old should be showing some wear , atleast 3 sets of manifolds

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Without an ECM that a scanner can get info from there is no way to know for sure. I have the same issue. I just treat my motors like they're made of glass.

robinsbd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I'm on the first or second set of exhaust manifolds. I'm also on fresh water though. I just had all new gaskets installed on the exhaust manifolds and risers this year. They were inspected and received a clean bill of health. Also, my mechanic inspected the exhaust flappers and they are good as well.

The engine has the Thunderbolt V ignition. Not sure if that module saves any data such as hours.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
No, none of the T-Bolt systems are readable. As far as the hour gauge if at the dash, tap into the purple ign wire .If at the motor . purple wire at the coil for 12v with key on

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Hour meters are good for service intervals, 'n little more,....

A compression, 'n leak-down test tells ya a 'ell of alot more 'bout the motors overall health, than an hour meter,.....

Boat motors don't wear out anyways, most times their owners Kill 'em,.....

I've seen 100 hour junk motors, 'n mine is 'bout to click 2,000 hours, 'n is darn near as solid as the day I built it,.....

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Without a meter you will never know unless it has a computer to read. My 1996 has more hours than my 1983 boat did.

alldodge

Staff member
I was wondering if there is any way to check how many hours are on my engine. !

Your motor has a TB-V ignition, and yes with the Rinda scan tool you can read engine hours and amount of time it has spent at preset rpm levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fun Times

Staff member
Depending on the design of the Thunderbolt ignition module and If you can find a Merc service tech that has the correct adapter for the TB-5 module then it may be possible to have the engine hours read stored inside the TB-5 module for the carburetor engines. Problem is I "believe" (not completely sure though) that this adapter is no longer available from Rinda Technologies as I haven't seen it listed in newer adapter listings for awhile now.

1996-up Carbureted engines with Thunderbolt V ignition: All models Adapter Part # from Rinda Technologies 94020.
http://www.rinda.com/marine/mtspec.htm
[h=2]1996-Up MerCruiser Thunderbolt V
Ignition module support
[/h]
The scan tool supports 1996-up MerCruiser Thunderbolt V
ignition modules. Technicians can access engine operating
hour data from the module and review the number of hours
an engine has operated in several preset RPM ranges.​
DESA5.JPG
Desa98.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
As for an hour-meter. I use one from a company called Radio Spares (now called RS Components). It's an LCD readout, is re-settable, less than an inch deep and half the price of a Merc gauge. Click HERE. (It says 20-60VAC, but it IS also 12-48VDC)

Chris.....

Last edited:

robinsbd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got back on the forum. I've been real busy at work lately. Thank you all for your responses so far on this topic.

I'll have to check out the RS Components hour meter. I currently use a Tiny Tach on my old Evinrude 15hp outboard. That seems to work well and it uses a wire that you wrap around one of the spark plug wires.

That is good info about the Rinda scan tool. I will look into this. I should also put the Compression test on my to do list. I do have an old gauge for checking compression on a car engine. Hopefully, I can get the spark plugs out without breaking anything. When my exhaust manifolds were removed, 2 of my spark plugs got broken. The service tech replaced the 2 broken plugs at no charge.

Now, that brings up a good question. Should I replace all the plugs now so they are all new? Also, how often should the spark plugs be replaced? The engine seems to be running well as far as I can tell.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the design of the Thunderbolt ignition module and If you can find a Merc service tech that has the correct adapter for the TB-5 module then it may be possible to have the engine hours read stored inside the TB-5 module for the carburetor engines. Problem is I "believe" (not completely sure though) that this adapter is no longer available from Rinda Technologies as I haven't seen it listed in newer adapter listings for awhile now.
It seems to be listed still on this page:
http://www.rinda.com/acro/scantool_adapters.pdf

alldodge

Staff member
FT brought up a good point about the TBV adapter is NLA. I sent Rinda an email and asked where I could get one or could I have the drawing so I could make one. So far there has been no response from Rinda

Opinion: I replaced the original Champion plugs on my Rinker 2 years ago (bought new, fresh water only), just because. Plugs still looked good, and since then there has been no change in performance noticed. I don't think plugs ever need replaced so long as it is maintained, or something causes concern in the area.

That said, if I was replacing 2 old plugs, I would replace all of them

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Cant tell the hours per se but you can check for hi time wear.You may have to remove the lower pully and install 3 bolts instead.
Remove the dist cap, rotate motor untill timing mark is visable in the index plate.on the balancer.
insert pipe between the bolts and rotate motor CCW untill rotor just moves. record the number of degrees timing mark has moved
What your doing is measuring the amount of slack in the timing chain assembly
Anything more that 10 degrees is hi time

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I'll have to check out the RS Components hour meter. I currently use a Tiny Tach on my old Evinrude 15hp outboard. That seems to work well and it uses a wire that you wrap around one of the spark plug wires.

Good choice. I've installed Tiny Tach's on every single one of my engines that didn't have an hour meter, mainly because they are so easy to install! Can't really get any easier, no power, no ground, really no connections whatsoever!

Randy913

Recruit
Your motor has a TB-V ignition, and yes with the Rinda scan tool you can read engine hours and amount of time it has spent at preset rpm levels.

I am in Louisville Ky and cannot find anyone here who can read this for me. Actually, I haven't checked everyone, but no one I have talked to here seems to know it is even poss

Status
Not open for further replies.