Complete electrical shutdown on start attempt

I have a 2006 Sea Ray 175 with a 3L Mercruiser. When I attempt to start, I hear a "pop," not a starter "click" and the power to the entire boat shuts down--stereo, blower, everything. I check for 12v on both sides of the solenoid 90AMP fuse block and the top-of-engine 50amp fuse and both are fine. I can disconnect battery, wait 5 minutes, and boat power is restored until I turn the key to the start position and it all repeats again. I am not resetting the 50AMP breaker--it's not popped. I'm not replacing the 90amp fuse on the solenoid, either, and yet the entire boat shuts down until I disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes, and try again. So, what gives? Is the 50 amp breaker bad? And if so, why would it be impacted by the starter? If the 90amp fuse were bad, there'd be no 12v on either side...same with 50amp. Completely stumped. Is there another breaker on this boat/engine I'm not aware of?

Alumarine

Captain
Welcome.
I suspect your battery is shot or more likely the connections to the battery are corroded.
Take the cables off. Clean both the cable ends and the battery terminals.
How many volts is the battery putting out?

Newer battery with sufficient cranking amps. Terminals are clean--all have dielectric grease on them. Was working fine until I disconnected battery this evening as a safety measure against sparks while replacing fuel filter. Dirty battery terminals wouldn't lead to some kind of whole boat shut-down of every bit of power. Plus, my meter shows 12.6 on either side of the starter fuse block and the 50 amp top-of-motor breaker. I'd get *something*. When I disconnect battery and wait 5 minutes, all my accessories jump to life: bilge, stereo, low oil alarm, depth, lights, etc. Turn the key to "start," hear the "pop," and absolutely everything is without power until I disconnect battery, wait five minutes, and start again... Appreciate any and all input.

I should mention I've been having intermittent starter issues. I often get a "click, click" and it fires on the third start or so. It's on my to-do list to replace, but, hasn't been an issue shutting down the whole boat's electrical system. I can't even get a "click" anymore. If the solenoid was bad, might it be popping the 50AMP fuse and it resets when i hook up the battery and I don't even know it?

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

I'm thinking the 50 amp breaker. Check voltage on both sides of it after the pop and before you do anything

Thanks, AllDodge. Have checked both sides of 50amp and solenoid 90amp and both read 12.6v. That's what's such a mystery to me. Is 50amp tied to the solenoid? And does it shut down all electronics? My understanding is that it was tied to alternator...

alldodge

Staff member
Do you have any idea of where the pop comes from?

Next check the key switch to see if 12V is on the Red/Pur, then see if it gets 12V when key goes to start on the Yel/Red wire

I don't have a strong sense of where it comes from. I can test that piece tomorrow--it's started to rain here and it's pitch black. I appreciate your suggestion. Do you know if the 50amp breaker is linked to the starter? One schematic i looked at suggests that it is. Further, does it shut down electronics? If so, and the 50amp is thermo, I'd guess the starter or solenoid is "popping" the 50amp but I don't realize it, and the de-energizing from disconnecting the battery is helping to reset it. It's entirely possible that the starter is "stuck." I just replaced fuel filter, changed the oil, and replaced all the spark plugs. Before I did, everything was great.

alldodge

Staff member
The breaker comes off the starter post and changes to the red/pur wire which goes to the key switch. If the circuit brakes no power goes to anything. The 90 fuse is not effected nor connected to the breaker

Thanks, AllDodge. Maybe that 50AMP is popping and I don't realize it. There's not firm 'click' or anything when I push it in an attempt to reset. It seems like it's possible that a bad starter and/or solenoid could trip the 50AMP, creating the condition I'm talking about. If that's the case, do you and other recommend replacing starter and solenoid package immediately to "fix"? Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
If that's the case, do you and other recommend replacing starter and solenoid package immediately to "fix"? Thanks.

Let's test what the issue is before replacing parts. If it leads to the starter, I would suggest take it to autozone or other and let them test it.

That said still don't know what the issue is

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Red Neck Test'
remove the small yellow red wire from the solenoid on the starter or from the large lug of the slave solenoid
short the solenoid battery lug to the small lug closest to the motor
post results

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The breaker comes off the starter post and changes to the red/pur wire which goes to the key switch. If the circuit brakes no power goes to anything. The 90 fuse is not effected nor connected to the breaker

Mercruiser is combining the alt feed and ship system power to the 90A fuse link

Mjewell20

Cadet
i had a similar problem but instead of the single pop i would get chatter from the starter solenoid when i turned the key and lose all power to everything. my problem was a bad ground and battery cables. replaced the cables and cleaned up the ground and all was good

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Where are you putting the black lead of your meter? If it's on the battery neg post, then you may have a bad negative path. Even if you're metering from the engine block, it can still be a bad connection only showing up at high currents. Pull the neg leads at both ends and clean them and make certain you have good connections there. Both ends.

Chris......