Cost to replace Bellows and gimball bearing-?

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What can I expect to pay to replace bellows and gimball bearing on my Alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive? I already have the parts, just wondering the amount of time/$$ a marina might charge me. Anyone?

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
I got quoted about $1,000 when I inquired about having mine done, which seems to be the average. I called a few places some were $1200, one was $1500 so I ended up doing the job myself.

thumpar

Admiral
It is not hard. The only thing you may run into is the tool to install the gimbal bearing. I used a 2/3 jaw puller from the Autozone loan a tool program and then had a local shop install it. The tool was more than the bearing and install ($65).

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Was that price with parts? Was that hard to do yourself?

I'll let others tell you about the difficulty. I'm about to do all that on my 2 drives for the first time. I wouldn't try it if I wasn't generally handy, had a good selection of hand tools, and purchased a few special tools to do the job.

Just want to note that mechanics won't generally be happy about using your parts, and might not warranty their work as a result. In addition, part of their overall price usually includes a markup on the parts, so expect to pay top dollar for the labor.

My .02

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I figured they would not like the idea of my own parts. I figured the parts will cost me 150, the special tool install kit on ebay is 130. So about 300 for me to do it my self. I am pretty handy at working on things. JoLin let me know how it goes.

Bondo

Staff member
. I am pretty handy at working on things.

Ayuh,.... So what are ya waitin' for,..??

If ya follow the steps in the factory manual to a T, it ain't that bad a job, figure 'bout 4 hours,...

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My first and only time so far went well,when you take it apart the light will come on.Do the lower cable also unless it is relatively new,you are already there.Have a good look at your limit and sender switches too.

Last edited:

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess I will start working on mine once the weather gets above 40 degrees and the chance of snow is gone. My garage isnit big enough to pull the whole boat in and work on it.
Sounds like the biggest issue is trying to get the bellows back on, and removing the Gimball bearing. Any tips ???

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I figured they would not like the idea of my own parts. I figured the parts will cost me 150, the special tool install kit on ebay is 130. So about 300 for me to do it my self. I am pretty handy at working on things. JoLin let me know how it goes.

I bought all Merc OEM. That ran me $350/drive but I didn't want to cheap out on those parts. I don't need exhaust bellows, mine were changed over to tubes by the P.O. I won't be changing gimbal bearings unless I find something wrong when I pull the drives. I bought the drive gasket kits, u-joint bellows, shift cable bellows, shift cables, water hoses, trim senders and limit switches.

$130. worth of bellows adhesive and miscellaneous special tools. I made a pressure tester for the drives ($25) and I've been modifying a Harbor Freight motorcycle jack to pull them. That'll be finished today. That cost $130. with the mods.

Good luck to us both! :tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
I just got done doing the bellows and shift cable on my GEN 2 did it myself I didn't do the gimbal bearing since it looked perfect.

The hardest part was getting the outdrive back on with out a second hand to help.

Definitely something you can tackle yourself as long as your confident, the outdrive if not corroded can be off the boat in 5 minutes or less

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I like to trial fit everything before putting the adhesive,clamp orientation is important and how you are going to get in there to tighten them.Pull the bearing with a slide hammer you rent from autozone.If that doesn't work,check back in here.You will be confident once you pull it apart. I took my time and worked on it a couple hours at a time,think I did it in 3 segments.

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The worse part looks like taking out the shift cable and replacing it and readjusting it on the motor side.. Should I replace the cable or just reuse it if it is in good shape?

Bondo

Staff member
Should I replace the cable or just reuse it if it is in good shape?

Ayuh,.... Replace it while yer in there,.... They don't last forever,....

thumpar

Admiral
Replace the cable. You can't see the inside and what will happen is a groove get warn on the inside and changes the throw of the cable. Since you will be that deep into it you might as well. You don't want to have to remove a bunch of stuff when you find out you have a bad cable.

For the bearing removal do as bspeth said. It is free to rent you just have to have a card to put a deposit down. Once you return it the deposit is removed from the card. I did it for mine. 2 whacks and it was out.

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the Gimbal bearing looks and feels okay should I leave it or replace it anyway? the boat is a 2001 with what appears to be very low hours. Just trying to figure out everything before I dive into it.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I just replaced my u-joint bellows and shift cable. Not too bad of a job, took about 4hrs.
I don't use an exhaust bellows (use a exhaust tube instead) which I think makes the job a lot easier.
And I also don't have to bother with the water hose as I have an engine mounted raw water pump.
I believe these 2 things make my job a lot easier than those that have these items.
My gimbal bearing was good so I left it alone.

Hope this helps..........

thumpar

Admiral
A tip on the water hose. People have a hard time getting it on the transom side. When I did it I boiled a pot of water. Then I put the end in the water and held it (not touching the bottom) for about 2 minutes. The hose slipped right on.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I've been modifying a Harbor Freight motorcycle jack to pull them.

Hey JoLin, How did the jack/drive stand turn out? I was thinking of doing the same thing with my harbor freight motorcycle jack (no more motorcycle).