I have found every Mercruiser trim wiring diagram ...except the one I need.

ecorob

Recruit
Could someone PLEASE point me to the trim wiring diagram for a 1977 Searay V200 with a Mercruiser 898 (2BBL 305 GM 5.0L)? I bought the Mercruiser Stern Drive Manual(s) volume 1 and II. P/N's C-90-68648 and C-90-71707 respectively because I was led to believe they would be what I needed. They weren't.

My trim limit switch and trim position sender's wires deteriorated and caused a failure at the 3 (black) button control and at the gauge. I replaced the wires between the harness and the trim pump and the ground but I was guessing because the wires had deteriorated so far they actually broken into pieces. The trim gauge pegs at the top end when the key's on but I cannot bring it down by rotating the sender itself (as indicated in the directions which accompanied the new trim switch kit). I believe I have it wired wrong. NOTE I am using jumper wires to mimic the actual wires because I want to make sure everything works before I remove the outdrive to get at the thru hull for the trim sender wires. ( OMG what an asinine design!!!!)

I'm not opposed to buying yet another manual ( I also purchased a CLYMER manual I hope is appropriate...but it hasn't arrived yet) but I'm hoping to get this wired properly this weekend ....but anything I order in hard copy won't get here for several days minimum.

plz help!

How many solenoids do you have? I have a diagram for a 3-button trim control with one solenoid... not sure if it's what you have but take a gander and see:

Single solenoid trim wiring.jpg

ecorob

Recruit
Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly, Eric. I am sorta new to this and thought I had set it up so I'd be alerted if there was any replies...but I must have forgotten a step or something, because I only saw your reply when I logged in and actually checked the post.

I have the setup with separate up and a down solenoids but I thank you for trying to help. Seeing the various configurations does give me a better overall grasp of the function of the system...so it did help somewhat in that regard. Thanks!

Hopefully there's someone out there with right diagram. I am going to look at some microfiche stuff at a local marina shop in the AM...I bet I'll find it there. I sure hope so! I'll post it if I do. I can't imagine I'm the only one who needs help figuring this system 's wiring out.

Bondo

Staff member
The trim gauge pegs at the top end when the key's on but I cannot bring it down by rotating the sender itself (as indicated in the directions which accompanied the new trim switch kit). I believe I have it wired wrong. NOTE I am using jumper wires to mimic the actual wires

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... The gauge reads varyin' resistance to ground,....

Obviously, yer gauge is seein' a Solid Ground, which pegs it,....

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
I believe grandads pdf download has everything you need including the diagram for your system. That file was a great help to me. My wires on my 76 going thru the hull to the limit switch are all corroded & bare too. Good luck with it. I haven't repaired mine yet as I've been dealing with ignition issues & water pump but I'm gonna do it before putting the outdrive back on.