MerCruiser 140 HP 2.97 L Overheating Issuses?

AaronR650

Cadet
I had purchased a fairly used boat(SeaRay 87) and found that it experiences overheating. Upon further inspection several problems were discovered. The exhaust bellows were completely gone and only a little bit of rubber found at the connecting points, the out drive and transom. The inlets for the water intake were crammed full of penny sized pieces of rubber, blocking the water intake on the outdrive. One of the rubber connecting tubes for the exhaust had a rupture causing smoke to pile up inside the engine compartment. One last problem was the water build up inside the boat. Holes in the hull are not found and the plug is tightened and leaking a drop every 10 seconds which is no big deal. New to OI's and need help desperately seeing as how much it could cost taking it into a dealer or mechanic. Also while running the engine with muffs there was a loud clanking noise that could be heard if you standing behind the boat. The oil was drained and the color was a dark but milky green which looked like it contained no oil.

Specs
Mercruiser 2.97 L 140HP In-Line 4 Cylinder
Engine Serial No. B403868
Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 outdrive
Stern Drive Unit Serial No. B468873
1987 SeaRay(could be the original engine I don't know)

if you require more specs I'll try to acquire them.

Last edited: