Carburetor Problem

BillyOldBoat

Cadet
I have a 1986 Baja Islander. Mercruiser 140 engine.

Spent 1 day on lake and all seemed to be fine. Filled up gas tank next day, at the lake, with premium fuel (1st time for premium fuel, usually use non premium).

Running around on the lake for a couple hours and stopped to jump in water. Noticed a slight odor of gas. Thought it was from fuel up earlier in day. Time to go back to dock and boat will not start... ran blower longer than normal due to the fuel smell from earlier. Rather than diagnose on water, buddy towed me in to ramp. Once on the trailer took plug out and out came water with a fairly strong gas odor.

Got home and took the seats and motor cover off boat so engine could have plenty of ventilation. Was difficult to start and when it finally did, much to my horror I saw a stream of gas coming from bottom/side of the carb. I snappy a couple quick pics, shut her down and said a quick prayer of thanks that we did not blow sky high at the lake. One of the pics is below.

Can anyone tell me why or how something like this could happen? Can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance for any help you may give.

Bill

Attachments

• photo226578.jpg
    photo226578.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like the bowl corroded thru, doubt if it can be fixed, probably replaced. Need to remove and have a closer look to find out if it can

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay I can see what I think is the stream spewing out, but can't see why or exactly where from. However, it is now time to remove the carb and fix this and while you're at it, install a carb kit too. Some times someone is watching over us... :thumb:

BillyOldBoat

Cadet
Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated!

I am not very good as a mechanic and don't really have the time to do the rebuild myself. My local marine shop quotes $400 + kit (minimum charge, might be more) and are 3 weeks out on schedule for carb rebuild.

I have found a place flyingfishcarburetors.com that sells rebuilt carbs for $238 + core charge (refunded upon acceptance of my old one). Just judging from web site they seem legit enough. I'm kind of leaning this way, providing they can get me a carb that is identical based on the carb serial numbers.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Local rebuild (if carb is not shot all together) vs buying a rebuilt one this place. Has anyone done business with this company?

Thanks in advance.

alldodge

Staff member
If the stream spewing out is water like gm mentioned then your carb may be rebuildable, if its gas it may not. Check out your local auto parts store and see what they are asking. If the carb is shot they don't care, just need a core, but make sure its a marine carb.

You could also find out what the core charge is and determine if yours turns up non-repairable, what is the core charge?

BillyOldBoat

Cadet
Finally got a chance to get to the boat and inspect/remove the carb. I think I found the problem. There appears to be a hole on the underneath side of the section where the linkage goes into the carb. Picture shows with green box where hole is. If this is the case, then I'm guessing the carb is shot and its core value will be nothing on a trade in for a rebuilt one? Can any one tell me if my theory is correct. I've never seen this part of the carb before, so I don't really know what it should look like. carb linkage s1.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
I would say you are correct. Only way around it is if you can find one at a NAPA and such. They want a core but there is no mention of how good the core is