Lehr 2.5 Propane Outboard

alion

Cadet
My personal ownership experience with this product has become dismal. I recently wrote about the "fast idle" which is inconvenient but relatively easy to compensate. A far more serious issue has surfaced. While out on a short trip across the bay I anchored near the town's dinghy dock and put the dink in the water, mounted the Lehr outboard then checked the oil, which was, observed through the site glass, milky white. The motor has less than 2 hours on it since first use a couple of weeks ago and I have no idea how water found its' way in to the crankcase, except that the head may be warped or cracked. I will be returning the Lehr to WM for a refund.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm not taking up for Lehr but your experience with WM bothers me. Didn't they test run the motor in front of you? I ask because I know somebody else with a WM motor issue that is not a Lehr.

alion

Cadet
Didn't know WM had a "test barrel" and the store manager didn't offer to run it for me. I foolishly assumed WM would accept a return within 30 days. When I attempted the return the manager refused to accept it and sent me to a warranty repair facility that fortunately was nearby. I'll have to wait to see if Lehr authorizes complete repair. By the way, the WM store manager said that they got bitten by a previous return that cost the store $800.

HopCar

Cadet
Lehr requires that all their independent dealers test engines before delivering them and requires that they offer service. West Marine is exempt from these requirements. If you have any trouble don't hesitate to contact Lehr's customer support. The phone number is on the tiller. They are really nice to deal with and want you to be happy with your engine.

ronaldj

Didn't know WM had a "test barrel" and the store manager didn't offer to run it for me. I foolishly assumed WM would accept a return within 30 days. When I attempted the return the manager refused to accept it and sent me to a warranty repair facility that fortunately was nearby. I'll have to wait to see if Lehr authorizes complete repair. By the way, the WM store manager said that they got bitten by a previous return that cost the store $800.
My problem with what happen to you is WM did not offer to test the engine before they sold it. If they could send it to someplace to repair it. There is no reason for not testing it. When I purchased mine, I was warned about buying motors from not only WM but BPS. When I called Lehr they referred me to and authorized repair facility to buy the motor. They not only tested the motor before I paid for it. The set the idle. They also had me bring it back to check it for the first year. The point I'm making is that WM failed to do the basic things that are suppose to be done to any motor. You should send Lehrer an email describing the fact that WM didn't set the motor up before they sold it to you. If you decide to buy any other motor. Only buy it from an authorized repair center. You may pay a little more but you will have a working motor and you will have dedicated service.

rsnyder518

Seaman Apprentice
Alion, I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with the Lehr motor. However, I'd be interested to hear how you made out regarding the warranty repair. What did they find wrong? How was it fixed and are you satisfied with the repair? Was it covered by the warranty?

alion

Cadet
Rsnyder318, Several weeks after problems arose the outboard was replaced under the terms of the warranty. It took several phone calls, emails and visits to the “authorized repair/dealer”, (not WM) to accomplish. I was not happy when the Lehr 2.5 broke and I sure was not pleased when WM refused to take it back under warranty terms, referring me to an authorized dealer for repair, which took more time and aggravation. My opinion is that propane powered internal combustion engines are here to stay, but the metallurgy needs improvement.

rsnyder518

Seaman Apprentice
Alion, your motor problems have been unfortunate but I appreciate you sharing your experiences. Good luck, hopefully the replacement motor will perform better for you than the original did. I like the propane outboard technology but it seems that Lehr may still have a ways to go both in terms of design and product support. It's really too bad that none of the major manufacturers have decided to persue the technology. But ultimately the market is probably too small to interest the likes of a Honda, Yamaha or Tohatsu.

ronaldj

I do not work for Lehr
Now having said that. I think that the problems that people are having with Lehr outboards are only happening to people who are not buying from an independent dealer. Like Hopcar said earlier. Independent Dealers are required to test the outboards before they sell them.
My dealer not only tested my 5hp outboard but registered it for me also.

It has been my experience that if you look closely you will see a lot of Yamaha in the Lehr outboards.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Testing an engine at dealer before it's sold in no guarantee that engine will not break down or have issues next day while going on your maiden voyage. A barrel test is very limited, as you can't pass idle or fast idle speeds, not even run engine at full load at wot . Other than that, just good for initial first start up along water pump peeing right. That applies to any gas engine too.

Happy Boating