85 HP Johnson Randomly Backfiring Through Exhaustt

Status
Not open for further replies.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The plastic ring under the timer base should be lubed with a white lithium grease. It's pretty slippery, even down to cold temps. Don't use a heavy wheel bearing type grease. After the engine has run for a while, I'd check the cyl head temps with a laser temp gun. The heads should idle around 143-150 degrees. If one is running significantly lower temps, you may have a thermostat that is stuck open. A cold-running head will not have clean combustion equal to the warmer head. Plugs can accumulate carbon and appear darker.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The plastic ring under the timer base should be lubed with a white lithium grease. It's pretty slippery, even down to cold temps. Don't use a heavy wheel bearing type grease. After the engine has run for a while, I'd check the cyl head temps with a laser temp gun. The heads should idle around 143-150 degrees. If one is running significantly lower temps, you may have a thermostat that is stuck open. A cold-running head will not have clean combustion equal to the warmer head. Plugs can accumulate carbon and appear darker.

Thank you so much, that really does make sense, I will replace the thermostat. The left head was no hotter than a piece of wood laying in the sunshine and the right head was not even warm to the touch. I will also pick up some of the white grease today. I don't have access to a laser temp gun. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you so much, I really do appreciate your information.

Randy1977

Recruit
I have a 1985 30 horse electric choke baught it with a slight miss and a exhaust pop ,found a bad power pack and fixed both cylinders now they both fire with checked fly wheel for bearing play and was not exsesive also checked curosion witch I cleaned up compresion is 120 per cylinder and now that I fixed the other cylinder it sneezes harder and some times on the first crank it fires right up every time and to keep it from sneezing I put the auto choke to full open and the sneezing goes away when it’s running rich any sudgestion

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 1985 30 horse electric choke baught it with a slight miss and a exhaust pop ,found a bad power pack and fixed both cylinders now they both fire with checked fly wheel for bearing play and was not exsesive also checked curosion witch I cleaned up compresion is 120 per cylinder and now that I fixed the other cylinder it sneezes harder and some times on the first crank it fires right up every time and to keep it from sneezing I put the auto choke to full open and the sneezing goes away when it’s running rich any sudgestion

Suggest you start a new thread. This one is old and inactive. Very few of our members look at old threads.

BTW - It's called a lean sneeze and using the choke richens the fuel mix. The carb(s) need rebuilt and adjusted.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.