Removing Power trim motor PROBLEM

teflonharry

Cadet
Hi!<br /><br />Johnson 110 hp, 86<br /><br />Sorry for my english.<br />First of all. My repair manual says when removing the trim motor:<br />"1.Mark the angle adjusting rod location."<br />Where is this and why do I need to mark it?<br /><br />Part 2<br />My Power trim motor is not working so I decided to take it apart and try to fix it. I can't remove the Power trim motor without moving the trim/tilt assembly or the engine from the boat. <br />I have problem. I'm trying to to remove the "rod/pin" which keep the tilt cylinder together with the engine.<br />I can't tap it out it is stuck. I have tried "rust loosener" and heat. Any ideas?<br /><br />/Harry

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing Power trim motor PROBLEM

Harry....before we go tearing things apart, here's a couple things to look at and a question or two....questions first.<br /><br />Can you hear the TNT relays picking up when you hit the trim switch?<br />Is it not working either up or down?<br /><br />Remove the engine cover and look for the harnes that goes to the TNT motor...two wires, green and blue. Green is down and blue is up.<br /><br />Separate the harness connector that goes to the relay box. This test is to see if the motor is working. With jumpers, connect the blue wire to battery negative. Now, with the other jumper connected to battery positive, touch the green wire connector. The engine should go up. Reverse the battery polarity to make the engine go down. If this test works and the TNT motor works, chech your relays in the relay box and the connections to the box.<br /><br />What manual do you have? Generic or OEM? OEM's are the best for troubleshooting. Does your manual have a schematic of the TNT system?<br /><br />Keep us posted....thanks.

teflonharry

Cadet

Hi OBJ!<br /><br />I have done that check and TNT motor did not move at all so I'm pretty sure it is something wrong with the TNT motor. The relays are still working.<br /><br /><br />The Manual is from "Clymer" CLYMER EVINRUDE-JOHNSON 48-235 HP 1973-1990 OUTBOARD REPAIR MANUAL<br /><br />/Harry

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

OK.....what you will need to do is support the engine in the up position while your remove the pin from the tilt ram. It can get stuck but also be sure the weight of the engine isn't hampering removal. After you get the pin out, there are three bolts on each side of the unit that go in from the transom supports. Remove these and the unit will tilt out enough so you can get to the motor screw in the back. <br /><br />And you would be much better off with an OEM manual. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to post.<br /><br />By the way, I have a 86' 90hp with the same TNT set up. I had to replace the motor brush head on mine so if you need the part numbers or anything, let us know.<br /><br />Jim

GDB

Cadet

This is an amazing coincidence, but I want to do the same job today (88 Johnson 225)... I have both SELOC and Clymer manuals but not the shop manual. <br /><br />I checked the motor as described above and it nothing.<br /><br />There is no way I can see that pin "sliding out".<br />Do you have any suggestions.....ramming it with a sledge hammer doesn't seem like the right approach.<br /><br />Can I leave the cylinder pin in place and remove the TNT motor?<br /><br />Thanks to both of you.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That upper tilt pin can be a real bear! It requires a hand held propane torch with a blow torch tip to heat the surrounding aluminum to free the pin.<br /><br />Be absolutely sure to have a garden hose and a fire extinguisher handy when doing that pin removal.

GDB

Cadet

Of course with all the banging, the tilt motor is working now. I think I will try an get in a couple of more trips before I attack this problem. We only have a few weeks of fishing time left up here.<br />Thanks again.... more to come I am sure.

wanenz

Cadet

Hi - Had the same trouble with mine - ended up using a 5lb hammer and a pin punch with heaps of crc - lots of frienly persuasion.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Teflon... The angle adjusting rod is simply that rod that goes through the bottom holes of the transom brackets to prevent the engine from triming in any farther.<br /><br />GDB... The unit has failed previously. Putting off that job to have a few more fishing trips could have you stranded in a dangerous situation.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

I have this repair on my list as well, 1986 225hp.<br />Do you have any tips for keeping the water out of the new trim motor? Sealants ect?<br /><br />Mac

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

A "new" PTT motor would be factory sealed properly. All that would be left is to install a new greased "O" Ring.

teflonharry

Cadet

Hi! I finally managed to remove the pin/tap.<br />I drilled it out. Then I found the problem in the tilt motor. I greased the "bearings" and it works.<br /><br />NEXT PROBLEM!<br />The tapered screw ( starboard side of the tilt assembly) which releases the oil. The screw has a rubber seal in the end of it but should it be one o-ring in the middle of the screw too. It looks like it?<br /><br />/Harry