1989 90HP Johnson VRO (No spark on two cylinders)

txgrandslam

Cadet
:confused: :confused: Hi I have a 1989 90 hp. Johnson vro. I was having problems with starting the motor so I looked at the fuel system and all checked out ok. So I looked for spark and I found that the right two cylinders have a good strong spark but the left two cylinders spark for 2 seconds and then nothing. <br />Please help me I don't think its the coils but I might be wrong. :confused: :confused:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 90HP Johnson VRO (No spark on two cylinders)

Hi ya' TX.....welcome to iboats.<br /><br />If your 90 is equipped with two power packs, swap them out and see if the problem changes sides. If the problem swaps with the power packs, the power pack is at fault and needs replaced.

GatorMike

Ensign

Tx, I had the same problem with an 89 110 I used to have. It just had 1 powerpack not sure if a 90 has 1 or 2 but if it isn't the powerpack it might be the trigger (timer base) that was the problem with mine. With a bad trigger you lose spark to 2 cyls on the same side.

txgrandslam

Cadet

Also, What is the trigger/, and where would it be located?

GatorMike

Ensign

It is located under the flywheel, there are 2 rings under the flywheel the outer one is the stator the inner ring is the trigger. It is shaped like a doughnut. Now I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is it costs over $200 if it is bad. But I just saved a ton of money by switching to Geico.

txgrandslam

Cadet

Is there a way to check to see if it is good or bad?, if so how do I do this?

txgrandslam

Cadet

Thanks for all your help. The problem was the p/p and now she runs great I thank you and Whatcha Thinking thanks you.