Old Johnson Colt 1.5 HP No Run Need Carb Adj Info

billy bronco

Recruit
I picked up a Johnson Colt 1.5 HP (JCOCOR) SN B0108817 made in Belgium. No reall sure of HP, have no idea of year. Had to fix recoil and now I can't get it started. Bad idea I know but if I spray a little starting fluid in carb she starts right up, acts like its not getting any gas. Its a pain to get to the carb once this thing is assembled.<br /><br />? I need to know what the top and bottom carb ajustment screws do, and what is a good starting point for each. If seated how many turns out to at least get it to run if its getting gas. I ask this cuz I took the carb apart and I didn't keep track of how many turns. Thanks, any info is welcome cuz I know nothing about this unit ....

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old Johnson Colt 1.5 HP No Run Need Carb Adj Info

Hey Billy....welcome aboard iboats.<br /><br />The serial number....could it be JCOCDR OR JCOCCR? Or possibly JCOCUR?<br /><br />Did you rebuild the carb when you had it off? Blow out the passages with carb cleaner and follow up with air? Good thing to do.<br /><br />Start with a half turn on the high speed jet and one turn out on the low speed. Set the high speed first. If it don't idle, open the low speed a little more to get it going.

billy bronco

Recruit

Hi,<br /><br />Thanks for such a quick reply. Yes, I cleaned with carb cleaner and blew everything out. I have no manual, which knob is high and which is low, top or bottom, thanks.

billy bronco

Recruit

Okay looked at model# with glass, it reads - JCOCDR - Do you know year and HP ?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

You have a 1.2hp 1986.<br /><br />Top needle is low speed, bottom needle high speed.

billy bronco

Recruit

I just pulled hose to carb made sure gas is there, it was, okay time to adjust and pull, I'll be back thanks so much!

billy bronco

Recruit

Opened up bowl again took closer look at things. Come to find out the float pin was completely gummed up and stuck, so no fuel was getting into the bowl. I did manage to get it to run a bit last nite but need to get it into a tank tonight and play with carb adj. I needed to back out top screw about 3 times before it would run at all.<br /><br />Billy

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs) <br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns. <br /><br />Setting the high and low needle valves properly: <br /><br />NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.<br /><br />(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting. <br /><br />(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.