Fuel Adjustment Screw Setting

hal5778

Cadet
I have a 1997 Johnson Oceanrunner 150hp and need to know what the recommended setting is on the fuel adjustment screw. Once the setting has been bottomed out (all the way in) how many turns out should be done.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
As far as I can tell all motors relatively young like yours don't have a idle mixture screw.
They do have idle speed screws These are set for 650 to 700 rpm in gear warm.
I could be dead wrong.If so someone will give me a good slap and straighten us out.

hal5778

Cadet
Thank You for that info it will be helpful.Perhaps I was too vague but the idle isnt what I was referring to I was referring to the fuel/air mixture screw

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Usually 1[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] turns for the idle mixture screws but it is just an initial setting each then adjusted for optimum running,

hal5778

Cadet
Hello Vic and thank you for the info. To further clarify the adjustment screw it appears that it is threaded into the manifold and is accessible thru a hole in the carb base. The screw has a spring behind the head of screw and requires a allen wrench to adjust. Currently the screws on all 6 locations is turned out 5 1/2 turns. The motor seems to run fine just won't idle down idles at appx. 1100rpm?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Its fine as rpm will lower when in water with backpressure, you cannot set idle unless in water or barrel...

hal5778

Cadet
Thank you so much I am going in the water tomorrow and will let you know again Thank You

boobie

Supreme Mariner
As that screw has fine threads the initial setting is 5 1/2 turns but has to be in the water to adjust correctly.