Do I need the special tool?

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was suggested that the lower unit on my 1980 35 hp was low on lube causing it to turn black in a few hours. That may be but I decided to check the bearings anyway, I have the OMC manual and calls for a special tool to re-install the indent ball bearings. Is it possible to do this without the tool.

DLH

daselbee

Commander
No you don't need the special tool decribed for the removal and replacement of the shift DETENT ball bearings.
I assume that is what you meant.

You have to be careful that the spring and bearings don't shoot across the garage, as you have to hold two ball bearings against spring pressure while you
slide the clutch dog over the whole assy. But it can be done.

If you can, just avoid pulling the clutch dog off the propshaft in the first place. However, it might come off on it's own during the disassembly process.
Is this LU one where the instructions say to pull out the propshaft, taking care not to lose the detent bearings, and then retrieve the loose parts from the
gearcase? If so, I understand your concern.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks . Can't believe I wrote indent. The manual says to install the shaft first then install the clutch dog using the tool. Looking at the exploded view I don't understand why the clutch dog can't be assembled on the shaft before installing the shaft into the housing. Maybe it has something to do with getting the shaft aligned with the forward gear and thrust bearing.

DLH

Last edited:

daselbee

Commander
How can the shaft be istalled first? You could never get the clutch dog on the forward end of the shaft.
Maybe re-read the manual....something is weird. What manual? OEM or aftermarket?

What I have first hand experience in is getting that shift cradle installed, with it's retaining screw....that is a bear.
You would have tohave the dog on the shaft to align the shiift cradle.....

daselbee

Commander
Does the manual say to assemble the dog, cradle, and various shifting parts in the case first, then slide the propshaft in using the tool?

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
The manual says to install the shaft first into the forward gear, then install the clutch dog with cradle and shift lever. Using the special tool to hold the detent balls with spring in place slide the shaft into the clutch dog. What's mentioned is that the tool is designed to locate a certain way on the clutch dog teeth so the balls are installed in the correct location. After the balls and shaft are installed, the pivot pin is next. Thinking it over I don't see why, with a little patience, it could be done without the tool.

DLH

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I made the special tool from some plastic pipe fitting,--------Use your ingenuity here.-----------Special tools are shop time savers meant to save the shop / customer time and money.-----There is usually another way to to the job !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You won't need any "special" tools to work with this section. Seriously once you get in there and see how everything works, you'll understand how to disassemble and clean and replace any suspect parts and then reassemble it back. Not very hard to do and seeing everything in "real" life makes it all fall into place with the manual. If I can successfully do it, anybody can...

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
I made the special tool from some plastic pipe fitting,--------Use your ingenuity here.-----------Special tools are shop time savers meant to save the shop / customer time and money.-----There is usually another way to to the job !

Did you find that the spline on he shaft only fit into the clutch dog a certain way?

DLH

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When assembling a 9.9 lower unit it calls, for a special tool to get the shift assembly in place.-------------Me I just turn the unit upside down and it falls in place every time.------Never needed or felt I needed the special tool as without it is quicker !!!

daselbee

Commander
what manual????
How can you get the clutch dog on the front of the shaft when the forward gear is in place?
Is there not a shoulder on ths propshaft that stops the rearward movement of the clutch dog?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
DH---------------The shaft fits into the clutch dog in any position.------But the detent balls only fit in the recess in the clutch dog a certain way.--------Take your time and see how it all fits.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
what manual????
How can you get the clutch dog on the front of the shaft when the forward gear is in place?
Is there not a shoulder on ths propshaft that stops the rearward movement of the clutch dog?

I have the OEM manual.

The forward gear is the one deepest in the case. Here's the order of assembly. The pinion gear, the forward gear, the clutch gear with cradle and shifting lever. Next the shaft with detent balls, the shift yoke, reverse gear and then the retaining ring. Finally the bearing housing. As far as I can tell forward and rearward movement is stopped when the clutch dog contacts a gear with the shift linkage holding it in place, the detent balls hold it in neutral. I'm sure I'll find out when I take the lower unit apart.

DLH

Last edited:

daselbee

Commander
OK.....I think I see. I bet you can use your old clutch dog to hold the balls in place, then put shaft in, pull old clutch dog out the back.

Edit....err....maybe not. The dogs on the face of the clutch dog would hold it too far away from the new clutch dog to allow a quick "exchange" of the balls and spring.....

Leaving it up to you....good luck.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have several of these gearcases apart at the moment and will assemble them without the use of special factory tools.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have several of these gearcases apart at the moment and will assemble them without the use of special factory tools.

I'm not planning to change any seals except for the bearing housing O-ring but I'm curious. Have you ever changed any of the seals and how hard was it to find ways to do it.

DLH