Upgrade 1995 Evinrude 200hp Vindicator to 225hp

bare00foot

Recruit
I have a 1995 Evinrude 200hp Vindicator. Having owned it since '99 and taken excellent care, it's always been a good engine and boat. Added hydraulic steering and hydraulic jack plate. I accidentally got water in the oil reservoir and blew a couple cylinders, so I need to rebuild/replace the power head. Since the 200, 225 and 250 all use the same engine block, could someone please tell me what else I'd need to replace in order to upgrade my engine to a 225? Any other issues I should be aware of? My Stratos 289FS will handle up to 235hp, so I'm wondering about the feasibility given the expense I'm facing - i.e. spend a few more bucks and have a slightly larger engine. Current set up with a 21p high-rake prop, boat tops out upper 60's when not loaded, albeit with a little chine walk. Thanks!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I contemplated the same thing until reality set in...
The difference between the 200 and 225 is the carburetors. I was quoted a crazy cost for a set of used 225 carbs. Seeing that my 200HP motor was spitting out 216HP (on dnyo) already, I didn't see the need to spend a couple thousand dollars to pick up an additional 8 HP, plus or minus.

Last edited:

bare00foot

Recruit
Thanks very much. Do you know if it's just the carbs, or would I also need a new set of reeds (or are they included? I would assume that the control module will handle either set-up... I've never had mine on a dyno to see what it's actually producing.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks very much. Do you know if it's just the carbs, or would I also need a new set of reeds (or are they included? I would assume that the control module will handle either set-up... I've never had mine on a dyno to see what it's actually producing.

carbs only

bare00foot

Recruit
Thanks very much for the info, and the quick response. This is a great forum.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I think this is the first year finger ported block and with 225 carbs it will make about 245hp at power head and 225+ at prop.Add the HO porting and 225 carbs and will be about 240hp at prop