1986 timer base works on 1973 135 hp johnson

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
My m8t needed help his timer base with 2 hall sensors where not working so i fitted a timer base from 1986 model it has 6 wires as apposed to 4 used the 2 blue & 2 green wires and wired it up to the 1973 power pack works perfectly .

Last edited:

durban

what i did notice is that on the 1986 the sensors are opposite to the 1973 i marked the location of senors on block & also the trigger line inside the flywheel when turned in a clock wise direction in the same order as the 1973 , piston 1comes up first then 2 then 3 & 4 .it started on 1st turn of the key

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Interesting investigation and a good tip. The blue and green are the rotation sensing wires. The 3rd wire thru the 4 pin connector for the 86 power pack is the kill wire. Black with yellow tracer. Technically, it does come from/to the timer base. On the old single power pack engines with screw terminals, it is a separate wire, screwed direct to the power pack from the control box key switch thru the red plug connector. The 4th wire is the white wire (possible ground?) Not used on the old screw type pack. On the 86 model, wires 5,6 go thru the other two-pin connector and are the power connector from the stator. Your screw pack gets it's power thru terminals 7,8.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The 4th wire is the bias wire, also check hub for rubbing as flywheels are different .....

durban

You are correct emdsapmgr in my case the kill wires are the white wires one white & the other white/black stripe which join up with the ignition with the black & yellow to cut the motor it works thought id pass this on to members :)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The kill wires do not hook to the timer base as blk/yel wire just grounds pack to stop motor. The white and white/blk wires on old timer base are from the coil which sends 5+v signal to scr in pack to tell it to fire(no hall effect). After rereading your post if you check the timing marks on flywheel they should be 180 degrees off due to the coils in timer base being opposite as you posted.

durban

Ive just left terminal no 7& 8 as they are you are correct Faztbullet terminal no 7 & the black & yellow wire which is terminal no 1are the kill wires to stop motor ,the 2 white wires coming from timer base ive just left them off as there is no need to connect them as the stator is connected to do the cut off if you know what i mean further more it seems to be 180 degrees off the fact that it started up first time is all i needed :joyous: .