Re-circulation valves

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer
Last summer I pulled my re-circulation valves (part number 392988) for my '84 Johnson 115 while diagnosing an idle issue [which I am not going to rehash in this thread]. Not a single one of them 'worked' as the ethanol over time had turned the black rubber in to a gooey mess. I haven't touched the boat since then, but now I'm back at it and looking at these parts new, they are about $25 a piece. SHEESH! Are they really that important to have? What would the implication be if I just cleaned out the black goo and put them back in (essentially no check valve functionality)?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
My older crossflows had no recirc valves and seemed to idle just fine. Around the 1983 timeframe, OMC added them. They are supposed to suck excess fuel from around the reed boxes and recirculate it into the engine's combustion process. The thought was that this would improve idling characteristics. Darned if I know how it's supposed to work, but I've run these engines with plugged valves and it's hard for me to tell much difference. It's possible that the valves work better if the engine idles for a while, as they may prevent the engine from "loading up" at idle, a long-term idle problem typical with these early two strokes. Rather than immediately replace them, there should be a procedure in the factory service manuals the will tell you how to clean them. If that fails, then consider replacement. Maybe another old timer can chime in with their experience on this issue.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Emds, your old cross flows had leaf valves in them to let the excess fuel that built up in the crankcase at idle to pee into the lake. The newer systems recirculated fuel back through the motor to stop this. All you can do is replace the valves as you can't clean them because of the rubber in them which is probably shot. If you started the motor up and ran it at WOT all day with out any idle speed you wouldn't need them. Fuel only builds up in the crankcase at idle speeds. Been there.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the update. I note that in my 86 V4/V6 crossflow factory service manual that there is a cleaning procedure, which references a special tool, part number 326623. Looks like the tool is to clean the other brass "flow-thru" fitting and does not apply to the one-way recirc fitting-which is the topic of this thread. After testing according to the factory procedure, if the recirc fitting fails, the only thing to do is to replace it-which is what I've always done when I first get a used engine.

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer
The rubber in them is shot, no doubt about it. Instead of being something recognizable, it was just goo. All 4 wouldn't allow flow either way. I pulled the screen filter off the back and it was like tar inside. I cleaned them all out so they are "empty" now; just simple brass fittings. My concern is that having no actual check valve function, they will work in reverse (meaning pulling fuel in instead of out) as well, thus causing a worse "loading" issue.

As boobie mentioned, the "loading up" and idling for some time is part of the problem that led me to pull them in the first place. I can idle around fine for a few minutes, but after a while I bog down, might get a sneeze, and I load up. As soon as I fast idle for a bit or go run around the lake, I'm able to idle again. Rinse and repeat.

motodave

Seaman
Hi fmjnax, I think Im looking at the same issue as you (83 gt150) and am also hesitant to drop $25 x 12 for parts that may or may not help the problem.. was wondering if you used a special tool to pull the valves? I'm interested to know what you find out with this issue overall, please keep us posted, good luck!

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer
It's been a few months since I pulled them, but I'm pretty sure I used a regular wrench and some PB Blaster.

If you're talking about the actual valves inside of the brass, I used a needle to pull the screen off and then reamed it out with an awl, followed by a solvent soaking.

I will certainly let you know what my outcome was. I'm working on some other things still so I won't make a final decision for at least a few more weeks. I may go ahead and put them back in and put it on the muffs to see if I notice any difference.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The one-way check valve and filter is only one per cyl. 4 required on a V4. Bombardier part # 392988. Unfortunately, they are sold 5 to a package from the factory, so you may need to negotiate with your dealer as to what he does with the leftover pc if he has to order them from the warehouse.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Use the Merc check valve as they have a nylon ball inside them......

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer
Any idea on a part number for that Faztbullet? I am only familiar with the '83 Merc I used to have, but that was years ago.